Snitch by Allison van Diepen | Teen Ink

Snitch by Allison van Diepen

January 22, 2019
By lizzyyangg BRONZE, Sacramento, California
lizzyyangg BRONZE, Sacramento, California
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

This novel Snitch written by Allison van Diepen is a book that puts you in a place of wanting to read more and more wanting to know about the ending of the story. Julia, the main character who lives in Brooklyn New York where her community is not so healthy. And how she went from a A+ student and a fantastic poet writer to getting caught up in street gang activities and having to go through rough phases.


Julia goes to a High School where its full of gang bangers, blood and crips. She was always a smart outstanding student, staying out of trouble getting her school work done and kicking it with her girlfriends aka her closes female friends and her best friend chuck ( a boy ) and Q her bestest bestest girlfriend. Her life suddenly changes as she meets a new boy named Eric that had just transferred from Detroit and how they both start to like each other and starts getting close.


She introduces Eric to her best friend chuck who is a crip gang banger.  Weeks later Eric and julia ends up being in a serious relationship Eric was the perfect boyfriend for julia and she knew that, he was smart sweet was always on top of his school work wanted a bright future for himself , until he got super close with chuck and ended up joining the crip gang. When Julia found out she broke up with Eric and was being distant, she was sad and not happy about breaking up with eric but he knew she did not want a gang banger boyfriend. Eric knew that and yet  he still joined the gang and basically lied to julia.


A month passed by Julia is looking for a rebound she and her girlfriends go out to a club one night to have fun and try to find julia a rebound. Which did not work because Eric was there with his gang and that made it hard for her. One of Julia’s friend named Marie which is in a blood gang tells Julia hey my people are going to jump your ex Eric and his crip gang your welcome especially what he did to u and how he hurted your feelings. Julia still have feelings for Eric and she did not want Eric to get jumped by the bloods. She tells Eric that night at the club and he got his crew and did not get jumped. Marie knew julia snitched and thats why there plan did not work. They were unable to jump the crips, Marie was mad real mad she jumps Julia and Julia ends up being in the hospital for 2 weeks. Marie threatened Julia’s other friends saying if Your still Julia's friend you guys will be next. Her best friend Q and her there girlfriends were scared and chickend out they stopped being Julia's friend.


Her and Eric gets back together in a relationship she ends up joining the Crip gang, Things fall apart Eric was a snitch and snitched to the cops the crip gang master goes down in jail by getting set up from Eric. The gang knew and jumped Eric and also ended up stabbing Julia. Eric runs and moves to Miami and Julia ends up moving schools and still keeping in contact with Eric, her boyfriend.

 


This novel is mostly for the Teen audience who are into gangs, money, drugs and romance. This book teaches good lessons about what teenagers go through and how dangerous the youth community can get in and how your life can fall apart but still turn around and change things.