Glass Sword | Teen Ink

Glass Sword

December 13, 2018
By Anonymous

            The book starts off at the battlefield. Mare Barrow is a Red-Sliver blood, which makes her special than everyone else. She uses her power to escape Maven’s Kingdom. He was her friend but betrayed her to be the king. She and Cal, her friend who helped her escape, ran to Tuck Island. Her parents were there too. Mare was scared, and not feeling herself since she never killed anyone in her life. While sleeping her dad said, “I know what it is to kill someone.” (Aveyard 72-73). Mare and Cal are going to Harbor Bay to rescue newbloods. But on their way there, they meet new obstacles. Mare finds the first newblood named Nix. Whenever Mare finds another newblood, she finds them dead. Maven leaves her disturbing notes in the hand of the newbloods. She didn’t tell anyone about it. Mare and Cal meet Jon. He tells them where the newbloods are. Jon tells them that there is a strong newblood who can shut others abilities, names Cameron. Mare and her group rescued the other newbloods and killed Queen Elara, Maven’s mom. Maven demanded Mare to give herself up, or he would kill the newblood frontline. She agrees.

            The plot structure was hard to follow. There are a lot of flashbacks in this book. It also gives Mare’s thoughts throughout the story. “He stands above me, close enough to smell. Thankfully the scent of blood is gone, replaced by salt. He’s been swimming” (Aveyard 86).

The theme of Glass Sword is insightful. It is about trust, friendship, and collaboration. Mare had to trust Maven when she left with him. He promised to free the frontline if she goes with him, and she did. This book is also about friendship. Maven betrayed Mare and Cal to become a king. Glass Sword is about teamwork. Mare’s team had to work together to surrender Maven and rescue the newbloods. Aveyard uses good figurative language in her writing. For example in Glass Sword, it states, “I told you to hide your heart once. You should have listened” (Aveyard 101).

            Glass Sword has some scenes that kids under 12 should not read. It uses some mature language. Imagery scenes that are mature for children. But otherwise, it is a good book to read for teenagers, to show them how life goes.


The author's comments:

I recommend this book