Ungifted | Teen Ink

Ungifted

October 31, 2018
By Zae04 BRONZE, Arlington, Texas
Zae04 BRONZE, Arlington, Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Born as a young troublemaker, young Donovan Curtis has a very bad school year. He started of the school year by being “Reckless” (Korman 2) his mother called him. He started with a few friends but then realized that they were really just trouble. I think this book worked because for the people that had a bad school year this book can help you with some things. I would recommend this book because for some people they could relate to somethings he is going through. I think the characterization was weak because through the book the author switched from who was talking. For example, it went from the teacher, to the classmates, and finally back to Donovan.

After one big and bad event happened the involved Donovan Curtis happened he was transferred to a place that he wasn’t exactly supposed to be at. Although Donovan was a smart student he was also still a trouble maker which made the situation worse. After a few months of being there he met new people. Some were like him and some where the exact opposite. Some people would also call Donovan impetuous because he always acted and never thought about the consequences.

Throughout the book the author compared his classmates to other objects and other people. For example, “You’re comparing apples and oranges. Come to think of it, pumpkins and raisins.” they were talking about Noah which is another classmate of his and how they should consider him the same as they would do any other person(Korman 176). This is a good book for people that are young, and probably not as useful for people that are older.

This book “Ungifted” has a great plot structure and I think this book would be good for someone going through middle school or just a troublemaker in school. The book shows how he was before the big problem and what unexpected change happened in the situation so he didn’t get in trouble. This book would be most beneficial for kids and not adults because adults are not in middle school anymore and they have bigger responsibilities and they wouldn’t be getting in trouble as much as kids would.