If I Stay | Teen Ink

If I Stay

By babyyy_aliiii BRONZE, Grand Prairie, Texas
babyyy_aliiii BRONZE, Grand Prairie, Texas

Just realizing that she is in a coma Mia is left seeing the after mats of the car accident that her and her family got into. 17 year old Mia is left thinking if she should just leave into the light or if she should stay and face life. Mia at one point says “I now realize that dying is easy. Living is hard” (Forman 175). She makes the decision by just seeing how her family is doing.

Mia is a gifted cellist that had fallen in love with a punk rock teen. They would go out and all that Mia’s story is so well detailed that it makes you have empathy with her, like from falling in love to losing a family member or not knowing what to do.   The plot structure was very easy to follow, yet I am happy that not at one point was I lost. The author did a very good job at describing all the senses and areas around the story. I say that the author did a good job on the plot structure because it made us know where in the story we were from a date with Adam to seeing her laying down in the hospital bed.  At one point in the story Mia says “If I Stay. If I live. It’s up to me” (If I Stay 88). She said this because she is stuck in between the two worlds, she has to decide if she should stay and live her life or she should join her family in the light.

I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys these type of love stories that have a tragic event happen in them. I would really recommend this book because even though she was in a coma she was able to see what everyone was going through like all her family, all her friends and to Mia most important Adam. This book gives you that motivation to keep reading it, so it is like the author hooks you into the book and doesn’t let you go until you read that last final page. Then it still leaves you hanging so you will go and buy the sequel to the book.