Matched | Teen Ink

Matched

By JosueFabela92 BRONZE, Arlington, Texas
JosueFabela92 BRONZE, Arlington, Texas

“Matched” by Ally Condie is about a society that decides everything for its citizens. The government decides where you work, when you die, and who you love. Within The Society you can't create anything that isn't created already and there is a list of the 100 best paintings, songs, poems, and stories. For the society knowledge is everything. Especially knowledge over technology. “...As the society reminds us,there’s a difference between knowledge and technology. Knowledge doesn’t fail us.” (matched 31).

Matched is based around a girl named Cassia who on her seventeenth birthday gets matched with her best friend and soon to be husband. She then receives a chip with information about her match but when she plays it another face pop up on the screen revealing a second possible match. She notices it's a glitch in the society, which has never happened before, that makes her choose between love and order. She has to choose between two great matches. “Being with Ky, being with Xander-both things feel like standing in the light, but neither feels dark”. (matched 181). This quote really shows her conflict within choosing the match for her.

The author did a good job at keeping me captivated and feeling apart of the story. I didn't feel like I was in the story but instead looking in and observing on the society. As if I was on the outside of the society. Although this book is easy to read, the author uses good imagery with her words. I also enjoyed the way author Ally Condie ended the book. She ended in a way that was understandable and made me look forward to the next book. In addition the way she wrote the book, I enjoyed the characterization of the main character Cassia. I strongly related to her thinking process and how she dealt with her emotions and also how the antagonist is The Society. The society is the government, and they make all the rules.

I would over all recommend the book to teens and adults ages 13+. But I would prefer if it is read by a teacher because it is a great conversation starter. I think if a teacher reads this to a class or assigned then talked about, it could really get the class talking. The things the story talks about is really interesting to think about as a kid of my age and older. Thinking about our society from a different point of view(totally opposites to be exact) and how our society could possibly go is very mature think hat I think should be saved until 7th grade maybe even 9th.