New Moon | Teen Ink

New Moon

By SamanthaMeza2022 BRONZE, Arlington, Texas
SamanthaMeza2022 BRONZE, Arlington, Texas

Living in Forks, Bella Swan is an eighteen year-old mortal who has fallen in love with a vampire, Edward Cullen. Since Edward is a vampire, he stopped aging at age 17, and Bella does not like the fact that she will eventually grow much older than him. After Bella is nearly attacked during her eighteenth birthday party, Edward decides to break up with her and leave Forks, leaving her by saying “I promise that this will be the last time you’ll see me. I won’t come back. I won’t put you through anything like this again. You can go on with your life without any more interference from me. It will be as if I’d never existed” (Meyer 71). As a result, Bella grows miserable and exasperated over the course of several months. She finds comfort in several people, and situations, but realizes that Edward’s image always follows her. Both Edward and Bella go through several complications and can’t seem to ever end up happily together, but faith will bring them back together.

This story shows how a relationship can complicate over time when you get too attached, and how some people would be willing to give up things in their life for the one they believe is their true love. Bella wanted to be changed into a vampire because she wanted to stay with Edward. I did not really find the portrait of deep love, I felt as if the way of characterizing and describing their relationship wasn’t strong enough. There wasn’t much action throughout the book. I got lost throughout the book, especially after Edward’s departure. I believe this book does not captivate you or draw you in enough to pay attention to everything that’s happening. It did not really provide meaningful insightful thoughts from Bella and Edward’s point of view. The book has several flaws, yet I did like the emotion described during Bella’s hardship months. I did understand the difficulty of the situation surrounding Bella and Edward. The book lacked insightful thoughts from the characters, but the emotion between was powerful. “It never made sense for you to love me” (Meyer 511).

New Moon is thoroughly detailed and emotional. I would recommend this to my cousin Melissa, since she is into romance and drama books. I might have not really understood some topics and moments in the book, but she is extremely likely to understand everything. My cousin appreciates detailed stuff, so I believe that she will like the book.