The Hobbit by J.R.R Tolkien | Teen Ink

The Hobbit by J.R.R Tolkien

June 20, 2018
By joshua.smee BRONZE, Farmington, New Hampshire
joshua.smee BRONZE, Farmington, New Hampshire
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The Hobbit demonstrates what a great fantasy novel can be. It started with,  "In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort."(Tolkien 1) The author, J.R.R. Tolkien, started this really well. He was descriptive throughout the entire book. I had some questions from the start like, “When will the pace really start to pick up?” Rest assured that the entire book is very interesting.

Gandalf and a band of dwarves go to Bilbo Baggins home to ask him if he wanted to be a burglar for them for the next journey to come. He has never come out of his hole for adventures whatsoever, but the leader of the dwarves, Thorin thought he’d be easily convinced to join them. Thorin also is thinking that he has to get back to his hometown, become king, take back his riches and find his heirloom, the Arkenstone. However the journey will be long and they will face many dangers along with what awaits at their destination.

Although this is a prequel I was thinking about how it connected to the Lord of the Rings the entire time. Tolkien made a few decisions that left me filled with suspense. He had Gandalf disappear at random times, which makes you think about what happened to him, but when the scene gets the utmost intense, there’s Gandalf as a knight in shining armor to rescue the party in tough times. Before you know it he’s gone again. Also in very suspenseful times Tolkien adds in a poem or song.

Fifteen birds in five firtrees,

their feathers were fanned in a fiery breeze!

But, funny little birds, they had no wings!

O what shall we do with the funny little things?

Roast 'em alive, or stew them in a pot;

fry them, boil them and eat them hot?(Tolkien 106)

He does this many times throughout the book, which I believe adds a bit of meaning to it. I personally loved reading this book, people who love the Lord of the Rings series, or just dragons and swords in general needs to read this. The ending of it will take your breath away.


The Hobbit

J.R.R. Tolkien                                                                         

The Random House Publishing Group                                            

Copyright 1966 by J.R.R. Tolkien

306 Pages

U.S.A. $8.99

ISBN: 978-0-345-33968-3