PS4 Review | Teen Ink

PS4 Review

May 6, 2016
By MatthewB6893 BRONZE, Orient, Ohio
MatthewB6893 BRONZE, Orient, Ohio
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The PlayStation consoles have transformed over the years. Many new features have been added to each one of them as they came out, but one leads the pack. It is the PS4. The PS4 is the newest ones of the PlayStation consoles, and it by far and away is the best. Many components that are in it make it great. The first one is the Hardware & Design.
         

The Ps4 has a very sleek and sharp design to it, making it very elegant . We will first start out with the rear of the Ps4. It  contains ports and outputs for you to plug in HDMI cables and audio and video cords. This makes it very easy to plug stuff in because you are not always crossing wires. They have their own little section. Now let's move to the front of the Ps4. The front contains to ports to plug your controller or audio cord into. This makes it very easy to charge your controller without having to pause the game or to plug in some headphones. Also at the front is the power and “eject disc” button.
    

Now let's move onto the hardware of the Ps4. The Ps4 contains a 500Gb to 1TB of storage. The 500 Gb drive allows you to play around 20 games before you run out, and the 1TB is around double that. The Ps4 also runs at a clock speed of around 1.6 Ghz on average. Now, that you know about the design and hardware we will move on to the the controller that comes with the Ps4
    

The Ps4 controller is known as the Dualshock 4. This controller was handcrafted by Sony and only used for Ps4s. The design of the controller is similar to the Dualshock 3 but it's joy sticks are much farther apart and it has concave triggers unlike the last controller. The Dualshock 4 is also wireless, which is nice because it lets you be free to move. The only time it needs to be on a cord is when it is charging.  Not only is it wireless, it is able to detect motion when you move.  With the Dualshock 4 there are many accessories that you can get for it.
      

Now that we have finished with the specs of the actual Ps4 and controller we will talk about Online Play. Online Play is an add-on for the Ps4. The play runs through PlayStation Network and allows you to play with people who also have PlayStation Network. This add- on is not free though, you have to buy it in stores and enter a code into the Ps4. 3 months is around $18 usually. With Online play, you have to be connected to the Internet in some way. Either a cable or Wifi.
      

With all these great features the Ps4 comes at a price. The 500GB can cost you anywhere from $275 to $400 depending on what you get. If you want just the console it will be toward the lower side while packages run toward the higher end. And yes, I know you might think that is a lot, and it really is, but you are getting one of the best, if not the best console there is. The 1TB can go a lot higher than that though. It usually costs around $350-$500. But again it really is a good console.
     

With all the good there are some downsides though. One of the major ones is not be able to add a hard drive to the Ps4. If you run out of storage there is nothing able to add more, unlike the Xbox. Another major one is it not being a major entertainment center, like the Xbox is. The Ps4 is capable of watching movies, but not on Netflix, like Xbox.
      

In conclusion, the Ps4 is overall a very good gaming system. It is very fast and is made by one of the best technology brands Sony. I used to have an Xbox, but I switched and absolutely love the Ps4. There is a wider array of games to chose from and they load a lot quicker than the Xbox. Online is also cheaper for Ps4. So to sum it up, Ps4 is a great console and if you like gaming give it a look. You won't be disappointed!