Review: A New York City State of Mind Political Cartoon | Teen Ink

Review: A New York City State of Mind Political Cartoon

By Brooke Abzug BRONZE, Coral Springs, Florida
Brooke Abzug BRONZE, Coral Springs, Florida

In Matthew Leib’s political cartoon, “A New York City State of Mind”, he satirically presents immigration reforms and support to the less fortunate with condescending irony, distorting symbolism, and rhetorical dialogue.

The two New York politicians appear plump and stand upright to symbolize materialistic values and wealth. The bureaucrats’ ties characterize snakes due to entangling alliances and forgeries evident in the law. The man on the left contains a speech bubble in order for the dialogue to prove his occupation as an NSA agent. His companion, presumably a lawmaker involved in the homeless and unemployed, rhetorically questions the immigrants. The erosion of the sand paired with the wave engulfing the immigrants epitomizes the struggles endured by those who come to the United States, seeking for the “American Dream”. To further emphasize the cartoon’s purpose, the Statue of Liberty stands amid the chaos, in the center of the picture. The prevalence of this figure symbolic of unity and freedom remains an underlying motif in both the political cartoon and world.

Satire evident in Leib’s political cartoon includes the bureaucrats’ cryptic methods and willingness to belittle the American people. As shown by the man on the left, the government publicly advertises their desire to help while creating unjust qualifications and simultaneously concealing the aid, such as the lifesaver in this political cartoon. In addition, the immigrants are depicted as famished and weak, in contrast to satiated politicians, while, in reality, the refugees hold the majority of strength.

Prior knowledge one should know in order to understand the cartoon includes a background in the NSA scandal, malnutrition within the homeless, and Ellis Island. The privacy limitations are a prerequisite for this cartoon due to its key role played by the “Food Stamps” man. Knowledge about food deprivation is a necessity to understand the evils of a corrupt government. Lastly, Ellis Island should be prefaced to the intended audience in order to appreciate the central theme of success in the political cartoon. For these reasons, Leib’s cartoon is effective and yields a heightened impact.