Wicked Review | Teen Ink

Wicked Review

By koalas7393 BRONZE, St. Louis, Missouri
koalas7393 BRONZE, St. Louis, Missouri
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

“Remember the last time an original Broadway musical made you laugh, cry and think — in the right places, and for the right reasons?" questioned USA Today in it’s review on Wicked. Wicked is a dazzling, exhilarating, exuberant musical masterpiece. It is currently 12th on the list of longest-running Broadway shows. Also it was picked “Best Stage Musical” in Entertainment Weekly’s “Best of 2000-2009” issue. This experience features amazing stunts, love story or two, and defines the true meaning of friendship.

This story is based on Gregory Maguire’s Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West. Although there are a few differences between the book and the musical, the show stayed close to the storyline. The special effects were very compelling. As the monkeys were learning to fly, I felt I was actually there. Another effect I liked was ambience because it didn’t stay the same throughout the story.

In case you don’t know the story, I will summarize the plot for you:

Elphaba, a.k.a the Wicked Witch, starts out as a normal, slightly green, girl who just wants to noticed as an average person and not have people cower away whenever she’s near. When she gets to her new school, Shiz Academy, she soon meets Galinda, who’s catchphrase is “Ga-linda, with a ga!” and hates her because she is popular and perfect. Then things get worse for Elphaba when the Headmistress of Shiz pairs them up to be roommates. Throughout the first few days they somewhat become friends. Even worse than that, Fiyero, a young, handsome Winkie prince, comes along, riles everyone up, and instantly falls for Galinda. We later find out that Elphaba actually has feelings for Fiyero.

As this secret love triangle evolves, Elphaba learns that, because she has magical powers, she has an opportunity to go to the Emerald City to work with the Wizard of Oz. This has always been her biggest dream and it’s coming true!

As she works hard on her studies so she can meet the Wizard, her favorite teacher, Dr. Dillmond, who also happens to be a goat, gradually loses his ability to speak. He has to removed from the school and replaced with a certified, serious human who is against animals learning to speak. When he first come he brings a cage with a lion cub inside. When the cub starts to shake in fear, Elphaba gets mad and sets an unintentional spell on everyone except the cub, Fiyero, and herself. She runs and grabs the cage and tells Fiyero to follow her into the forest. What happens then? Go see it!

Back at Shiz Elphaba learns that she is going to the Emerald City! When Galinda finds out, they celebrate and Galinda wishes she could go with her best friend and Elfie, as she is called by Galinda, says she can and they get even more excited. When Galinda, Elfie, and Fiyero get to the train station, ready for their journey, Elphaba brings up Dr. Dillmond and Fiyero and her don’t think Galinda really cared about what happened. So, in response, Galinda passionately changes her name to Glinda, without the ga. Fiyero and Elfie just roll their eyes and Elphaba and Glinda are on their way.

When they first get to the Emerald City, they are amazed by everything. When they finally get to the wizard’s lair, they are alarmed by the wizard’s mechanical mask, but he soon comes out to greet them. At first they think he is the coolest and man in Oz most wonderful man in Oz but they soon find out the great and powerful Wizard of Oz is hiding something very bad. What is it you may ask? Find out for yourself by seeing the show

Although this show starts out with a dreary opening number, it quickly makes up for it. This shows when Galinda sings her upbeat “Popular” or when Elphaba wants to reek revenge on the wizard in “Defying Gravity.” I absolutely loved the music in this show because it is so empowering and catchy, I’m still humming after so long since I’ve sen it.

I would definitely recommend this to everyone. Even if you’re not a theatre person, I can guarantee you’ll at least like it. This is a great family musical, but there are some scenes that may be scary for children under 7. The acting, the music, the storyline was all amazingly great. I would give it 4.8 stars out of 5.

I hope people, even people who hate musicals, will go see this show because it is just that great.