Volunteer Match | Teen Ink

Volunteer Match

July 20, 2009
By KCares GOLD, Pepperell, Massachusetts
KCares GOLD, Pepperell, Massachusetts
11 articles 9 photos 4 comments

When you first reach the homepage of www.volunteermatch.org, the best tool for charity and community service on the internet, you’re immediately submerged into a whole world of opportunities to make a difference. Right away you can take advantage of the sites main tool, the Find a Place To Volunteer box. Just by filling in your zip code and an optional keyword you can be connected to thousands of opportunities to volunteer near you.

In my opinion, the best feature of the website is the Virtual Volunteering Opportunities search. By searching for these opportunities (it’s easy, just check the Search For Virtual Volunteering Opportunities box in the search area), you can find hundreds of ways to make a difference without having to leave your home. These chances are perfect for rainy days, school vacations, or the times when you’re searching the internet with nothing to do. Some of my favorites include making breast cancer ribbons to send to the American Cancer Society, making web quests for a non-profit website, and sending out blast emails.

This website is also great for non-profits. Of course, it is their listings that make up the lists of opportunities, but it’s also a great way to advertise. Any organization that has a tax id number can become a member of the site, which includes posting ads for things the organization needs, even funds. This is perfect for your school’s Drama club, the cat shelter down the street, or even the memorial fund set up for your late librarian.

I’m glad to be able to say that the site’s design is as amazing as the information it provides. It is clean, with easily assessable information and virtually no advertisements. Searching is easy, and everything can be found right on the homepage. The crisp, concise graphics add to the page without cluttering it and it’s also nice to see volunteers spotlighted for their work. Plus, there are many easy to use tools available for free.

Checking this site out is definitely worth your time, especially if you’re looking for an easy way to make a difference. I recommend it to all my friends and to the members of my schools community service clubs. It deserves a full five stars, hands down.