My History With Sports | Teen Ink

My History With Sports

By clestina BRONZE, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
clestina BRONZE, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

When I was born, it was my dad's goal to find a sport for me to connect to, so he started to throw multiple sports at me. Basketball, baseball, hockey, golf, football, tennis, you name it I tried it.  They were all at the YMCA, so it was easy to try multiple sports at once. 

So the first sport I tried was basketball, it started with a camp at the YMCA, which I always hated to go to. So then I played basketball on a team which I really enjoyed because I was tall at a young age. This went on where I continued playing for my school until freshman year, where I took a break for two years and then continued playing on a select team. I still love playing basketball to this day and I am planning to play for a college down in Florida for a small scholarship. 

Then I tried some baseball which I was horrible at, I did some camps at the YMCA which I was fine with, but when I was out on the field I was shook. I couldn't really hit the ball and on defense I was the left outfielder so I never really saw the ball. I was also scared of hitting the ball because it hit my hand once and I never wanted to play again. So after my dramatizing YMCA baseball career my parents wanted me to try one more time, playing for the Oakland A’s select team with one of my good friends. But to no avail, I had the same problem I did with my YMCA team.

Hockey was short lived, but was fun while it lasted; I don't remember playing on any teams, but I do remember going to camps at Naga-Waukee Ice Arena. I loved going because I loved the concession stand and I enjoyed the sport a little bit, until I face planted and then I was too scared to go out on the ice again. Even though it was short lived I still like ice skating a little bit and I still do some gym classes, but otherwise I probably won't see an ice rink for a while.

Both my Dad and Grandpa are both huge golfers, so they let me and my brother try at Oconomowoc Golf Club. But as a kid my patience was slim so I just went because the golf club had good chicken tenders. My parents eventually caught on to this and were mad that they were paying an expensive golf membership just so me and my brother could eat chicken tenders. I really wished I stuck with this as I want to try golfing again. It's just super expensive, but something I'll consider looking into.

My entire family is huge NFL fans, so the fact that I quit this sport surprised my family. Of course it was YMCA flag football because my mom would never let me be tackled, but it was still fun. Now as a kid I was no Michael Vick, but I still remember having fun. The only thing I really remember is on kickoff I got a kick straight to the face, and that when I started as quarterback I got yelled at and started crying. I still play football in the backyard for fun but not something I would take seriously.

And finally the last sport that I really remember is tennis, this lasted over 2 summers and was one of the last sports I tried. I remember I wasn't even that bad, but the sport was just so boring to me, so I just gave up. My mom really pushed this sport on me which is pretty unusual because she never really was passionate about a sport. So she didn't really care when I wanted to drop it. 

In the end I'm glad my parents tried to keep me active, and got me attached to a sport, because it helped me develop friendships and a hobby to keep me busy. My Dad has always been by my side when exploring anything new, whether it's a sport, riding a bike, or teaching me how to drive. Even when I made the basketball team he volunteered to be a coach, and coached me all the way up to 7th grade. I'm thankful my Dad made me who I am today.