The Player’s | Teen Ink

The Player’s

“The Players” by an unidentified author, begins as a normal sketch in the school library. There are two high school students, a math teacher, and a principal. Student 2 is trying to get student 1 to steal Mrs. Jackson’s master copy of a test in order to expel student 1. Student 1 tape records the entire thing in order to prove his innocence and get Mrs. Jackson fired. The plot twist is that the two students pulled this con on the teachers because they are FBI agents. They had been spying on the use of illegal recording devices in the school. Mr. Simpson (the principal) and Mrs. Jackson turned out to be KGB agents. In the end they are trying to decide what to do after finding out each other's identities. They all let each other go and return to their normal everyday lives as student and teacher. 

At first when reading this sketch I thought it was going to be boring because it involves high school characters. After reading the sketch I was completely thrown off. This sketch involves mystery, comedy, and exaggeration. One key detail I noticed is that there is so much creativity within the sketch. Drama is supposed to be fun and even though it is student authored it is really interesting. It is definitely over dramatic but that is what makes it a fun sketch. For example, the end included special agents from the KGB and special agents from the FBI. Mrs. Jackson and Mr. Simpson exclaimed, “What?” And the two boys pull out badges. Student 2 says, “We are special agents with the FBI,” which is ridiculous but hilarious. I like the way the author wrote this because it leaves the reader at the edge of their seat waiting to see what happens next. 

The dialogue flowed just like a normal conversation. It was intriguing to see what the next character had to say. Out of nowhere Mr. Simpson says, “Allow us to introduce ourselves.” Mrs. Jackson finishes it off by saying, “Ve are special agents with the KGB.” They both say this in Russian accents that were apparently hidden the entire scene. This caused me to audibly gasp. Personally, I daydream about these random situations everyday; imagining some crazy situation that would occur at school. I think several students would love this because it involves high school and insane scenarios that are fun to imagine. Overall, I like the dramatic, humorous sketch that this author created. I would not change anything about this because I like the way it is written and it is intriguing. 

I enjoy comedy’s and skits because they’re interesting to watch/read. This piece was fun to read because of how unexpected it is.