Milwaukee Brewers Comeback To Become NL Central Champions | Teen Ink

Milwaukee Brewers Comeback To Become NL Central Champions

By bmeissner BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
bmeissner BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

When you think of the Milwaukee Brewers, usually it is somewhere around the lines of ‘they suck’ or one of the only teams without a world series title.’ Yes, we still haven’t won a world series title but  let's go back to the 2021 NL Central champions when the Brewers beat the New York Mets at American Family Field. This is important for Brewer fans because it’s the first time we’ve won the division at home in 10 years.

September 26, 2021 the Milwaukee Brewers faced the New York Mets at American Family Field. American Family Field had a crowd with a total of 43,430 fans in attendance selling out the stadium. But with the victory, the Brewers lock up the NL Central their first division title since 2018 and just fifth in team history, and ensure themselves a place in the NLDS.

The game got off to a rocky start with one down in the top of the first, Mets shortstop Francisco Lindor got into a 3-2 fastball from Freddy Peralta and sent it out to right field. That 1-0 lead was short-lived. Kolten Wong led off the bottom of the inning with a walk from Carlos Carrasco and Willy Adames followed with a long home run to left field. Carrasco painted himself into a corner in the second inning by walking Wong and Adames with one down to load the bases. He paid for it when Yelich’s grounder to first sent home a run and Eduardo Escobar singled sharply to right, knocking in two more to put the Brewers on top, 5-1. 

After cruising through the second and third innings, Peralta found quick trouble in the fourth. Michael Conforto led off with a single to center, Pete Alonso doubled to right and Javier Báez knocked them both in with a double to left.

With the score, 5-3, a runner on second and no outs, Peralta needed to dig in and he did. Jonathan Villar popped out, Jeff McNeil flew out to right, with Tyrone Taylor making a running catch in the gap, and Tomás Nido struck out to keep it a two-run game. 

Peralta’s up-and-down game continued with a 1-2-3 fifth inning, then more issues in the sixth. With one down, Alonso walked and Báez singled to left, and that was all for the Brewers’ starter. Escobar hit a grounder into the hole at short that should have been the third out, but his one-hop throw to first eluded Alonso, allowing two runs to score and give the Brewers an 8-4 lead. It’s important since it’s the first NL Central Championship win since 2011.

I would look back into your review and add history and some background information to set up  your review. Add some about their past and what else you are looking forward to in their future. Pick specific games and be in the moment about the game. Add creative and interesting words to keep the review flowing. You did a great job adding details about the games you picked already though.