The Yard Milkshake Bar: Centennial Park | Teen Ink

The Yard Milkshake Bar: Centennial Park

By SchoolWriting23 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
SchoolWriting23 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

I was traveling to Atlanta for a conference for a school club. I was researching the best places to eat on Google and   One place in particular caught my eye, The Yard Milkshake Bar, an ice cream shop.  Their claim to fame is specialty milkshakes.  Mason jars full to the brim with milkshakes with a rimmed glass and topped with some sort of delicious desert.  Being a fan of all things dessert, this seemed like the perfect place for me.

I thought I would be one of the few people to know of this place and that I had found a hidden gem.  Upon arriving , I found myself sorely mistaken.  It seemed like everyone must have heard good things about this place as there was a line out the door about the length of the store. 

But the hour-long wait in line outside was very well managed.  The staff communicated clearly with the people in line and were working diligently to serve everyone. They would come roughly every 15 min to let more people in as the people inside cleared out.  They would let you know how many people they were going to take next so you also had a rough estimate of when you would get in.

Once inside I was confronted with the large menu of all the different combinations of sundaes and shakes.  With 34 different flavors of ice cream and 70 different toppings ranging from sprinkles to a slice of cheesecake, the combinations are endless.  If you are overwhelmed by making your own combination, no need to worry, they have specialty shakes that are rotated monthly and come with a souvenir mason jar.  

While some people may be turned away by the $17 price, it is worth it for the novelty.  Take for example the “Donut Touch My Coffee” specialty milkshake which features Cappuccino Crunch and Hazelnut Ice Cream, with a glass rimmed in crushed oreos and topped with a whole donut and whipped cream, drizzled with nutella. I knew I couldn’t get something like this anywhere else. 

After a bit of deliberation I settled on the “Peanut Butter Brownie Bliss” specialty milkshake.  They describe it as Brownie Batter ice cream drizzled in peanut butter with a rim rolled in peanut butter and chocolate shavings, topped with a full brownie and tower of whipped cream.  Upon first glance, the shake looks gigantic, but upon removing the brownie and whipped cream , it seems much more manageable.  But after delving into the milkshake I realized my initial impressions were true, the shake was gigantic.  

You start off with confidence when attacking the shake.  You enjoy the delicious Brownie Batter Shake while occasionally taking bites of the soft, rich brownie.  Combine that with the chocolate shavings and peanut, it is a great combination of sweet and salty.  At the bottom of the shake were more pieces of brownie which had been covered by the peanut butter milkshake and paired very well with the rest of the shake.  That’s when you begin to realize just how full you are as you finish off the last pieces of brownie at the very bottom.

Overall, the shake was very good and I would give it a 9/10 with my only critique being the price.  The flavor was excellent. All the flavors paired very well together.