2022 Toyota Tacoma Review | Teen Ink

2022 Toyota Tacoma Review

By Jlauterbach2 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
Jlauterbach2 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road Review

The 2022 Toyota Tacoma is a new spin on the same 4th generation midsize truck that has absolutely dominated the market for the last few decades. And This particular truck lives up to its predecessor's reputation in every sense of the word. 

The first thing you notice when you open the door to the interior is the old-school dash layout. Toyota has kept the same dash setup every enthusiast loves, except for in this new generation, there is a touch of modern. There is a 10-inch screen that jumps out at you and with this model the truck comes standard with lane assist, adaptive cruise control, and wireless charging. Although the truck has new technology throughout the entire car, Toyota has elected to keep a manual gear selector, an analog speedometer, and also a manual parking brake, which could be one of the many reasons why this truck is known for its reliability. 

Above the dash on the headliner, there is an off-road drive mode selector that allows you to accommodate for each terrain and weather condition; the suspension and gear shifting will adjust accordingly. Along with the off-road drive mode selector, the infotainment center offers a tilt and slope angle that lets the driver know exactly how severe the terrain they are driving on is. The truck also comes with dual-zone climate control and a JBL speaker system that you would never need to turn to full volume. Although, there is no option for seat heaters or a heated steering wheel. 

Moving to the back of the interior, there is one bench seat with enough room for three, and an unbelievable amount of under-seat storage—Plenty of room to store a jack, jumper cables, or tools. The back seat is not as roomy for passengers, though. The legroom offered is minimal and is most certainly the demise of taller people.  

The exterior of the Toyota Tacoma 2022 TRD off-road is a highly revered body style that turns heads on the road. The stock truck comes with 31-inch wheels and a Fox shock suspension system that gives an extra inch of ground clearance compared to other Tacoma models (Not the TRD edition). Toyota offers 7 color options plus one more for each year's special edition TRD pro color. The Magnet colorway is a very deep metallic grey that gives off a mirror-like finish. The magnet color is even better in person and the color-matched grille is an awesome touch that gives the truck a complete look. 

The Toyota Tacoma comes standard with a 5-foot bed but this one, in particular, has the extended 6-foot bed. The 6-foot bed not only looks more natural, but it is also very practical. The entire truck is outfitted with LED headlights, taillights, and fog lights. Also, the bed has a composite spay Bedliner and a 120-volt outlet in the bed. In the back of the truck, there is a power rear window that opens and closes with a switch near the driver's side. Under the hood is a naturally aspirated V6 engine with a cool air intake and an impressive array of sensors and parking aids that alert the driver of obstacles that may be out of view. 

Overall, the 2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD off Road is the most reliable, durable, and practical truck on the market, and by far dominates the class of midsize trucks and even all off-road vehicles.