Consequences of Consumerism and Human’s Disregard for Others in “Finding Nemo” | Teen Ink

Consequences of Consumerism and Human’s Disregard for Others in “Finding Nemo”

October 19, 2020
By maricastrobaum BRONZE, San Jose, Other
maricastrobaum BRONZE, San Jose, Other
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Fear causes hesitation, and hesitation will cause your worst fears to come true" - Bodhi (Point Break)


Finding Nemo, one of Pixar’s perfect movies, is an exploration of various mental illnesses and disabilities and how in spite of them, one can thrive. This is a topic that has been explored at length. Another aspect of the film explored at length are it’s characters; mainly Marlin, Dory and Nemo. I have found few articles or analyses that speak about the “Tank Gang” (the group of fish in the dentist’s office) and have found that they are just as interesting as the main characters. While they do suffer from a variety of mental disorders, they also delve (in true Pixar fashion) into the consequences of consumerism and our negligence when it comes to other living beings. This may seem far fetched, but there is a lot of evidence, albeit subtle, of how these fish have suffered as a result of this.


Consumerism has grown exponentially during the last decades with technological advancements, large-scale manufacturing and our inherent desire as human beings to have more, to have everything. This is perfectly portrayed by each of the Tank Gang member’s origins. Most of them, such as Peach, Flo and Bubbles, have been bought from stores or even more shockingly via the internet. Peach for example, mentions that she comes from eBay. eBay, an online shopping website where you can bid for the products you want. These fish are being treated like mere objects, their value has a price; this shows our inhumane treatment of other living beings. It shows how little respect humans have for living creatures and this is frequently reflected in our treatment of others. Furthermore, this comments on our tendency to buy animals as opposed to adopting them; the film urges the audience to change these behaviours. Some of the other fish, like Gill, were directly taken from the ocean. They were ripped from their homes which shows our inherent desire to have what we can’t have and more accurately what we shouldn't have. This “adds value” to whatever “object” we acquire since, because other people’s morality isn't as weak, we have something that is considered rare. 


As a result of this callous treatment, the Gang have developed various mental conditions. The film is not only trying to show the audience that various disabilities and challenges can be overcome but it is also calling their attention to how these can come to be if we act selfishly and immorally. The fish act as a microcosm for a prison crafted by human beings, they are the innocents who suffer the consequences of our reckless actions. A clear example of this is Flo who, due to this forced confinement, has become delusional and has even developed a split personality since she believes her reflection in the tank to be her twin. Another example is Bloat who has developed emotion management problems; whenever he becomes anxious, he bloats up. 


Another consequence of consumerism and the negligence of humans is shown through the fish’s institutionalization. They know the dentist’s schedule perfectly, their days are pretty much always the same and they have a clear understanding of the human world. Peach for instance, can read english which shows how she has adapted to her circumstances and has assimilated this culture that not only does she not belong in but also “abducted” her from her natural habitat. The small, water-filled volume of the tank is the only semblance of the ocean any of these characters has ever known; because of our desire to have what we can’t have, they have been robbed of their chance to live a meaningful life in the place where they are supposed to.


The fish are humanized to a great degree, not only so that the characters can connect with the audience, but in so doing, the audience realizes human’s unacceptable treatment of living organisms and they become encouraged to change it. Gill is a perfect archetype of somebody who has suffered greatly: he has been beat down by life and has lost everything. Gurgle is a germaphobe who is meticulous about everything he does and has become incredibly pessimistic and doubtful that they will ever be able to get out of the tank. While some of the traits of the characters provide comic relief, they are really heartbreaking examples of victims of our cruelty and our complete ignorance of them after committing such acts. Sometimes we do things that defy morality, and while they may seem like small acts and we may think no one will be hurt because it just doesn't seem likely, it could have huge repercussions. What is worse, is we sometimes think it will not matter because the organisms involved are not human; they feel just like we do but sadly, they have no voice. “Finding Nemo” gives these animals a voice and also those who have suffered from our thoughtless deeds.


While at first glance “Finding Nemo” may just look like a children’s movie about a father finding his son alongside a funny and forgetful fish, it is clear that it is so much more than that. It is even much more than it’s psychological themes of being lost and finding oneself, different parenting styles, mental disorders, etc. It subtly comments on our economic systems and the consequences of our actions and mistreatment of animals through a lovable, outsider, rag-tag group of fish who win our hearts and work as more than mere comic relief.


The author's comments:

I have always loved "Finding Nemo", it is one of my favorite movies and I really wanted to highlight how detailed it is and how much care has been put into every aspect; in this particular case I want to highlight how much care was put into every character.