We Tried It: The Boxing Workout Laila Ali and Leo Santa Cruz Shared | Teen Ink

We Tried It: The Boxing Workout Laila Ali and Leo Santa Cruz Shared

For an all-encompassing mind and body workout, look no further than boxing.

There's a reason why boxing is the workout of choice for so many celebs and models (like these celebrities who love boxing). Not only is fighting a strength and cardio workout in one, it's the best way to get in tune with your inner badass. If that's not enough to convince you to add boxing to your regimen, these five punching perks will have you itching to put on a pair of gloves.

It was an exciting day with Covered California kicking off their #InYourCorner campaign with special guests Laila Ali and Leo Santa Cruz on Monday, November 4th that included an interactive boxing-inspired cardio workout!

The Class: One-hour boxing demonstration at The Bloc in downtown LA

The Appeal: Hand-eye coordination is key for boxing. Punching a bag or sparring requires focused movements and amazing recall, challenging your muscles and your mind, says former championship boxer Laila Ali, daughter of Muhammad Ali. (Learn how to throw a punch like a pro before you even hit the gym.) Muhammad Ali didn't "float like a butterfly" for nothing.

The Instructors: Laila Ali and Leo Santa Cruz. Our instructors would demonstrate a short series of punches to throw at the speedbag, and we would repeat those until they switched it up, breaking occasionally for defensive manuevering. Knowing this was my first class, both Ali and Cruz helped us learn the names of each punch and tried their best to help when our lack of coordination was getting the best of us (“left hook, right cross … what?”), and I eventually caught on. We wrapped up class with core work. We each grabbed a drink and sat down.

The Space: The Bloc held a large boxing space, for basic cardio and punching equipment. The class area is made up of several rows in a large grid pattern with plenty of room to spread out between.

Who’s There: The women outnumbered the men in a class of about 30, and the group varied significantly in fitness level and age. I could easily tell who was there for the calorie burn and who was there because they enjoyed punching things hard. (Looking at you, barefoot guy. No judgment.)

How It Went: We got right to work. No leisurely stretching or long-winded introductions here, just jabs and strikes and the occasional duck and dodge. My heart rate climbed to the 170s, and I immediately regretted my black shirt as we did a series of plyometric punches at an imaginary speedbag. Assuming that this was the cardio portion of the class was a mistake I soon paid for dearly. The next 20 minutes involved punches, squats, lunges, and straight jabs. I hadn’t done the “crab walk” since elementary school, and it showed. 

The Aftermath: Ouch. I spent the next few hours in a haze that I finally recovered from after arriving at my job. The next morning I woke up aching all over in the best way. I couldn’t move an inch without feeling the work I put in the day before.

Loved: I’m typically drawn to martial arts, but I had a blast working out in a more “bro” environment. I liked the no-nonsense attitude of the space and staff. Everyone was there to work, and that’s exactly what we did.

Hated: The lessons from Cruz would've helped more if we all had his strike pads.

Difficulty Level: Prepare yourself for cardio. I consider myself somewhat fit, and this class was a challenge. Unless you’re already a serious athlete, you won’t be able to do everything full-speed from day one, but you will still get a killer workout and absolutely see results.

Bottom Line: If you’re looking to maximize your gym time with a high-intensity class, you’ve got nothing to lose. But be prepared to work. It's easy for your fitness routine to become, well, routine, but boxing will keep you on your toes. "Boxing requires complete focus, which makes the time fly by," says Cruz. And unlike running on the treadmill, there's always something new to learn (or someone new to spar!), so you have serious incentive to keep training.

Thanks to on-field reporter Marvin "Knife" Sotelo