Review | Teen Ink

Review

By chench BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio
chench BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio

The writing titled “Rain Dance,” written by Sara Jareke, talks about a little kid looking for their friend on a rainy day. Her writing left me a little bit surprised by the ending. I very much liked this story because of how simple it is. I think that it was written extremely well and the ending make it above and beyond. In the beginning of the book, I was a little confused by what was going on. The author writes that “the aliens have to stay inside.” This quote was right in the first two sentences, so I figure the setting would be on Mars, or in Outer Space, but no. “I run over to the front of the Marvins’ house, the one that always has white hopscotch drawings on the sidewalk,” states Ms. Jarecke. At this point I was for sure I was reading it weird, so I went and re-read it. Nope, I was reading it right. So I continued on.  Looking back on the reading, the author reveals key details quite nocolantly and was done so very well. When I finally finish the short story, I can 100% see myself reading this to my little sister.