Wisconsin DMV Review | Teen Ink

Wisconsin DMV Review

By writinggirl23 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
writinggirl23 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

Most people think of the DMV as a boring, inefficient place that makes you wait a long time for a simple task to get done. However, after going to the Rhinelander DMV to take my road test a few days ago, I was very pleased with my experience. 

As I walked through the door, I was kindly greeted by a kind lady at the front desk. I immediately received my proper paperwork and sat down to wait for my name to be called to take my road test. During this, I was faced with an unfortunate surprise when the only, unisex bathroom was out of order, which I found very unpleasant. 

My road test was scheduled for 10:40 am; however, at 10:45 am, a lady in a bright yellow traffic vest called my name to take the test, introduced herself, and gave me a weak handshake. I had already been very nervous to get my license and could barely even eat breakfast that morning. This anxiety was expanded with her unwelcoming and stern tone, making me even more nervous as to how the test was going to go. While taking the test, she did not make conversation, but simply gave directions at to what to do. This made the car ride a little awkward, but also allowed me to focus more deeply on what I was doing.

When the road test was over, she brought me into the building, told me that I successfully passed my test, and performed an in-depth analysis of what I did properly and what I needed to work on. I found this very beneficial to make myself a better driver in the future, now that I had my license. I believe that, regardless of her short personality, she was very accurate when evaluating my test and was good at her job.

By 11:00 am, the number of people at the DMV increased, unfortunately meaning a slightly longer wait time. I waited for 15 minutes before entering information to receive my driver’s ID. Luckily, after this, I had no wait to get my picture taken for the ID. I also found it very exciting that I got to sign my name to a poster on the wall for passing my test there. 

Alongside my own experience at the DMV, I did notice several people waiting in chairs to be assisted because there was only one person working the secondary service counter. This created an inconvenience for those that needed to get a simple task completed quickly.

In conclusion, I was happy with my experience at the Rhinelander DMV and would encourage other teenagers to take their road test at this location. I appreciated the short waiting times, the efficient organization and process of taking customers, and the accuracy of the test evaluator, regardless of the lack of access to a bathroom and the unwelcoming atmosphere.