COMBINED RELATIONS | Teen Ink

COMBINED RELATIONS

By AlexHendrix BRONZE, Parker, Colorado
AlexHendrix BRONZE, Parker, Colorado

Introduction

“Leadership is all about relationships. Fast-paced organizations, such as those in corrections, must mandate behavior that focuses on learning and action taking. The need to share goals, share knowledge, ask questions, seek help,and tolerate mistakes in the face of uncertainty, while creating a sense of mutual respect are things that occur in a high-quality relationship.” (Eggers, p.61). Trust has always been and will always be a fundamental part of relationships and decision. Trust is built up over time to create an environment of trust and cooperation used to accomplish a greater task. To go along with this Helen Keller said, “Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much. ” Trust is a necessary object of cooperation. Without trust we cannot grow or develop. You learn from others and not yourself most of the time. Without being able to trust others you cannot learn from them. However the flipside is you don’t really know if you can trust somebody. You have to be distrusting towards some people and trusting towards others with no indication on who to trust. You must look at the data yourself to determine the validity of a claim.

Research Question

This article will focus on providing and explaining the proof behind how trust affects relationships in a positive way, the article will look at various proofs to determine the reason for trust to positively affect relationships and how the loss of trust or manifestation of distrust can disparage not only a relationship but also the work ethics of people. How can trust be used or abused by someone or something to get what they want? The main question is as follows: How does trust affect relationships positively and negatively in personal and corporation standpoints?

Body

First the article will talk about distrust and trust when it comes to economics. By talking about economic depressions. The most infamous one was the Great Depression, or as it is known elsewhere the Great Recession. This effected trust in many ways. People would be way less trusting of everything. The value of money was so low that they hid their money in hopes it would get better. Can’t trust people as they want the money as well, can’t trust corporations as after all because of gigantic price numbers. Can’t trust the government, they got us into that mess. You can only trust yourself and without working together we accomplish very little. When it started to blow over it was due to people starting to trust each other again and get the job done.

“After the global economic collapse triggered by the Great Recession, there has been an increased interest in the potential psychological implications of periods of economic decline.  Recent evidence suggests that negative personal experiences linked to the economic crisis may lead to diminished generalized trust (i.e., the belief that most of the people of the society are honest and can be trusted).” (Navarro-Carrillo, p.1). People find it harder to trust people with more things when a crisis hits because you don’t know what they might do. Everyone was desperate to survive, theft rates during this time had gotten worse due to the willingness to keep themselves alive. When this happens distrust seems to spike and the problem is usually left unsolved for a long time because of this.

Trust is also involved in politics heavily. In this way we can determine that when someone who has political power should not be dealing with trust outside of getting the people’s trust. There should be no need to trust any leader they talk to. When going to unfriendly countries towards the United States like Russia and North Korea. There should not be any reason for trusting in those leaders to keep their word. They could just kill the president and be done with it. Yes it would cause war but they still could do that. All that matters is a leader should not trust another leader not to just execute this leader because of trust. “More democracy has meant more oversight of and less trust in authorities. The topic  does not seem any more obvious when we consider the place of trust within political life from a more generic perspective. Politics is distinguished from other kinds of social relations by conflicts of interests and identities, so that the mere fact that a social relationship has become political throws into question the very conditions for trust.” (Warren, p.7). We distrust things so we regulate them and create a more trustworthy world. Trust is also an age thing. Looking at a younger kid you can see they are very trusting. Teens and older are way less trusting and could flat out distrust a person or thing for no reason.

Conclusion

In the end trust has positively improved our work ethic and cooperation. However this essence of trust is like it was made of a very thin piece of glass. You can shatter positive relationships really easily whereas a negative relationship needs active fixing or it just deteriorates more. Trust builds a positive relationship that companies use to improve their workers, on the flipside trust gets vanquished in an instant if something goes wrong. Without trust companies cannot move forward, neither can personal relationships. All we can do is trust each other and truck on.

References

Eggers, J. (2018). Psychological Safety Influences Relationship Behavior. [online]

[Accessed 13 Dec. 2018].

Navarro-Carrillo, G., Valor-Segura, I., Lozano, L. M., & Moya, M. (2018). Do Economic Crises

Always Undermine Trust in Others? The Case of Generalized, Interpersonal, and

In-Group Trust. Frontiers in psychology, 9, 1955. doi:10.3389/fpsyg.2018.01955

Reimann, M., Schilke, O., & Cook, K. S. (2017). Trust is heritable, whereas distrust is not.  

Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America,

114(27), 7007-7012.

Rodriguez, L. M., DiBello, A. M., Øverup, C. S., & Neighbors, C. (2015). The Price of Distrust:

Trust, Anxious Attachment, Jealousy, and Partner Abuse. Partner abuse, 6(3), 298-319.

Vanderbilt, K. E., Liu, D., & Heyman, G. D. (2011). The development of distrust. Child

development, 82(5), 1372-80.  Warren, M. E. (1999). Democracy and Trust. Retrieved January 8, 2019.