Max Meier's Cafe | Teen Ink

Max Meier's Cafe

By irbarth GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
irbarth GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

Max Meier’s Swiss Cafe was not a new discovery for me, in a sense. I had passed the quaint little inn, nestled in the center of downtown Hartland, nearly every day on my commutes through the city. And yet, it remained a mystery to me. Prior to a couple weeks ago, I never stepped foot inside, and hadn’t met anyone else who had done so. In turn, I always held the impression in my mind it was simply some C-rate cafe, the kind you would visit once and receive only a dull sense of regret from the experience.

So when my close friend invited me to the German Club’s annual dinner—conveniently hosted at this location—I was… hesitant about accepting his offer. After all, I was so sure in my mind it would be nothing more than a waste of my time.

Nevertheless, I eventually just said to hell with it, and agreed to come. And my expectations were more than exceeded.

On that night my friend, myself, and ten other members of the club were seated in the inn’s spacious dining area. Plush carpeting, walls adorned with tasteful paintings of swiss nature scenes, and smooth dinner music created a sophisticated atmosphere that I, quite frankly, was not expecting. After becoming settled, warm rolls and salads were passed out—tender boston lettuce and housemade dressing that was incredibly successful in whetting my appetite. The main course was all the more delectable. I had selected the Schnitzel Emmenthal—a fried chicken breast topped with a thick slice of ham and melted swiss. The entire dish was cooked and seasoned to perfection, and paired greatly with the sides of schnitzel and roasted vegetables. Lastly, we all indulged in Strawberry Schaum Torte, a delicate mound of meringue topped with ice cream and sundae strawberries. It was arguably the crown jewel of the whole experience.

I was so impressed that I even recommended my family go with me a second time so they could experience it as well. They had equally been intrigued by the restaurant—it was shrouded in the same mystery for them as it had once been for me. They eagerly agreed to my proposal when they heard the food was actually memorable, and so (for the second time that week) I visited the inn for dinner.

Since I had gone through the German club my first time, I had only been offered a limited menu. Hence, it was all the more exciting when, this time, I had access to every selection they offered. From sandwiches to seafood to steaks—you could even order a pot of fondue for your table. After much debating, I settled on the Chicken Ballontine, stuffed with apples, cranberries, and walnuts. Perfectly juicy and served with a generous helping of mashed potatoes, I can thoroughly say I was satisfied.

The only thing I realized looking at the menu was how expensive the dishes were. Of course, the servings were indisputably hearty, but any given entrée easily cost upwards of thirty dollars, not to mention the additional prices of alcohol, drinks or desserts. Despite how delicious everything was, my wallet took a bit of a blow the second time I attended. It is something to be prepared for if you decide to stop in.

Of course, Max Meier’s is a family owned restaurant—and if there is anything I understand about small business, it is how they will always be a bit pricier. And considering the friendliness of the staff, the relaxing atmosphere, and how delicious everything was, I would say it was worth it. Max Meier’s is definitely a place everyone should experience at least once—I promise, you won’t be disappointed.

A review of a local restaurant.