Sonnet 18 As Written By Me | Teen Ink

Sonnet 18 As Written By Me MAG

By magic-esi PLATINUM, Hyde Park, New York
magic-esi PLATINUM, Hyde Park, New York

"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one."
"Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light."

Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
No, that would be stupid.
Firstly, the days of summer are often lame,
And I'm biased, thanks to Cupid.
It's not that you're lovely or temperate, though;
No, you possess something far better
Something that makes me feel like cookie dough
So what if you can't write but a letter?
It matters not, since I'm good at spelling
And I must say there is no telling
What makes you so surpass that summer's day
Though I do find out. When the sun's ray
Passes through my window in the early morn
My love for you is yet reborn.

When we were assigned to do a poetry recitation in class, many students chose Shakespeare's Sonnet 18. I found it pretty funny that Shakespeare would compare someone he was in love with to something like a summer's day, so I wrote a parody of his poem. Hope you like it!

KCayla GOLD said...
KCayla GOLD, Stillwater, New York

"I brought a cupcake, and I brought Apollo" - My Best friend, implying that I was like Apollo :D

hahahaha i like the cookie dough part... I LVE COOKIE DOUGH BECAUSE IM THE COOKIE MONSTER!!!!!! OM NOM NOM!

FallonC. BRONZE, Palo Alto, California

\"Most of the shadows of this life are caused by standing in one\'s own sunshine.\" —Ralph Waldo Emerson

I barely could keep my eyelids up last night to make sense of Shakespeare's Sonnet 18. I loved reading with your parody.

M_IML DIAMOND said...
M_IML DIAMOND, Ganei Tikva, Other
Normally I would hate you for making fun of Shakespeare, but this is addmiteddly just about as witty as a parody can get :-)) Love it!

on Mar. 28 2011 at 9:56 am
magic-esi PLATINUM, Hyde Park, New York

Look, kid, I know you think it's just hilarious to give me a 1-star, then 2-star, then 3-star rating all in a row, but it's a childish prank. Stop doing this to all my articles, whoever you are. Teen Ink sends me emails and I know when you do it.

magic-esi PLATINUM, Hyde Park, New York

Thanks! I'm so excited!

I never got to congratulate you on your poem... It was really good.

I hope my family doesn't tell everyone they meet about this poem, too. But whatever! It's awesome that I'm going to be published!

forgottenpenname GOLD, Troy, Michigan

"Carpe diem."

CONGRATULATIONS ON MAKING THE MAGAZINE ESI!!!!!!!!!! AHHHH!!!!!!!!!! =D

magic-esi PLATINUM, Hyde Park, New York

Anyway, I wanted to say that this poem is totally a parody. This isn't about anyone I know. I actually had to read a romance book to figure out what I should write in this poem! The whole purpose of this poem is to make fun of Shakespeare. Just in case you misunderstood me!

on Apr. 22 2010 at 12:29 am
CreativeScript PLATINUM, Port Hardy, Other

This is great! I love it! Really, the beginning is 5STARS!

Please look at my stuff, Comment, Rate! Ill look at more of your stuff.