Break Me Down | Teen Ink

Break Me Down

By Golden.Matter BRONZE, Wichita Falls, Texas
Golden.Matter BRONZE, Wichita Falls, Texas

"Ignorance, the root and the stem of every evil." ~Plato

Your distrust is fueled by the histories that burned you. You push people away, turning yourself to bitterness and hate. I try to love you and I try to stay, but my heart is breaking and my head aches at the choice I must make.

When we’re together, we can laugh and we can play, but you live for the world of wishes that you create, scorning the true reality in which you live. Smiling one moment and shouting the next, nothing I do is ever right. I will do my best for you, my savior, my friend for all my life, but the reasons I came to live with you have become the reasons I question to remain.

You helped me out of the he** I once suffered, and for that I owe you everything. I wish I could take away your pain, the bitterness you’ve held for lifetime, but if I wait by your side I fear that you will become the one I hate. And so, I have I choice to make. The thought of it tears me apart.

For a couple of days, I had leave. You called me over and over again. They made me angry, they made me cry, and, to tell the truth, I’m dying inside. No logic can calm your heart or convince you to listen, this I already know, so I don’t know what to do as everything stays inside, never coming out right, drowning me in my own pain. My words will never reach your ears. Coming home, you apologize then you scream and you cry. And it's the funniest thing when you tell me you can’t sleep when I’m away and one word from you is all it takes to break me down...

Break me down! Yell and cry once again, all of it turning me inside out. I want scream, I want to shout, but you will never hear. You will never know how much it truly hurts when you ask me why I cry alone when I breakdown.

You scream at me, “If that’s what you want to do, go back to them!” These are the words I’ve heard all before, but now the weight of them is closing in on me. They never used to bother me, but now all I can do is cry inside because I don’t know what I can do when all I want to do is be free without hurting you! My world is slowly crashing in on me, the stress building from you, my life, everything, so break me down...

When I breakdown, fall apart once again! Just as I always have, I’ll pick up the pieces and stand tall! And all you will ever know are the lies that I feed to you, because the truth is I can’t stand to stay, but I can’t bear to go.

I wrote this in about 10 minutes. It was really just to help me get my own thoughts out of my head, but I might actually create a composition for it. Comments are welcome!