9 Years | Teen Ink

9 Years

By SarahG BRONZE, Goff, Kansas
SarahG BRONZE, Goff, Kansas

9 years ago i was four.
Standing by your passenger door.
Daddy, daddy, dont leave,
Stay with me so i can breathe,
The Airs too thick here,
Help me please,
The pain just wont ease,
Father, Father hear me now,
Tomorrows too late,
Tonight your last bow,
A fight for your fate,
Though your sure to loose,
Please just take me with you,
Im up for the ride,
But from gods hand you have to hide,
Daddy, daddy, just one more breath,
I know now,
you cant hide from death.

*This is dedicated to my late father, who died January 5th 2000. I was only 4 at the time, so my memories of him are not much. All i remember is running and running and running, the day i found out he was gone. Then, i remember collapsing on the ground, and gasping for breath. Not long after i was diagnosed with Asthma. Rest In Piece.

Jaymi P BRONZE said...
Jaymi P BRONZE, Mclean, Virginia
This is an amazing poem. I am sorry for your loss, but out of something so terrible cam something beautiful. Its brings people just a tiny step toward knowing the pain you are feeling.

SarahG said...
thank you soo much.

sadie912 said...
oh...my...god

dats so beutiful *cry,cry* really

Kimberly. :) said...
Omgsh. Sarah. This is soo sad:(

im soo sorry for what happened to you & your family! :( ..

it makes me just wanna cry! :(

i love you soo much & im soo deeply sorry for what happened!

Love you<3

SarahG BRONZE said...
SarahG BRONZE, Goff, Kansas
I love you too, kassidy dear.

Kass F said...
Sarah, wow.when I read this I was gettin all teared up. I'm so sorry for what happened to you & your family. Everytime I think about it, I get depressed. Sarah you know I'm ALWAYS here for you when you need to talk to..whether its at school or what. I love you Sarah dear (:

SarahG BRONZE said...
SarahG BRONZE, Goff, Kansas
thank you so very much. It's ok i cried when i wrote it. Thank you so much for your praise, it has made my day better. :)

brianj BRONZE said...
brianj BRONZE, Jeannette, Pennsylvania

"the real trouble with reality is that there's no background music"
"i don't suffer from insanity. i enjoy every minute of it."
“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?” -Marianne Williamson. Trying so hard to believe this but SO not succeeding…..

Halfway through the lyrics, the floodgates behind my eyes opened. I actually started tearing up over the bitter sadness of this song! Death is a terrible monster that we all fear, and the way you put that idea to paper is absolutely amazing. The last line, "I know now you can't hide from death," was one that truly effected my crying and take on your song. What a touching way to sum it all up! The image that you painted in my mind of all of your emotions with your dad's death is incredible, such a melancholy picture. Amazing job with this song! Also, I love the picture you've included with the little girl in her father's arms. It puts in view what no one could say in words. Plus, the repitition of "daddy" gives the reader a chance to relate because they have memories of chanting it lovingly to their own fathers. This had very emotional lyrics, and if it can bring tears, that tells you just how good it really is. I can not say just how sorry I am that you lost your father, but I can tell you that he would be proud of you for writing this piece. :)