I Took The Stars | Teen Ink

I Took The Stars

By ASoulFullOfDreams SILVER, North Smithfield, Rhode Island
ASoulFullOfDreams SILVER, North Smithfield, Rhode Island

"Above all else, it is about leaving a mark that I existed: I was here. I was hungry. I was defeated. I was happy. I was sad. I was in love. I was afraid. I was hopeful. I had an idea and I had a good purpose and that's why I made works of art."
~Felix Gonzalez-Torre

I needed a light/ To hold me in the darkness at night/ And since you wee never near/ All that was a thousands miles away was here/ I took the stars from the sky/ I took the truth and left it to be a lie/ I took the tears from my dark hour cry/ I'm not giving them back, even if you try/ I'll leave the sun and moon for you/ And the night that the stars didn't appear/ You looked at me as if you knew/ And the air felt cold and alone, as if it never blew/ At nights we would watch the stars and I remember how you would stare/ And as far as they seemed, they were always near/ I took the stars from the night/ I took the world's bright, shining light/ Now the moon seems all alone/ And maybe it's time to send them back home/ And I took the stars from your dreams/ And while they were gone, the world changed it seems/ Oh, I took the stars from the sky/ I took the truth and left to be a lie/ I took the tears from my dark hour cry/ And now the time is right/ I'll put the stars back tonight/ And I'll put the stars back for you to see/ I'll put them back for you and me

This is one of my best work. My inspiration for these lyrics was a band that I absolutely adore: Mazzy Star. If anyone was to actually sing this song it would be that band. Their haunting melodies and surreal lyrics led me to writing about one of my absolute infactuations in the world: the stars.

esmirnaZz said...
I really enjoyed reading this since I also like writing in a similar form. I also like the fact that you wrote it inspired by Mazzy Star, also a band I like. One of their songs is usually in my head when I write-Fade into You. Good job!! :)

cmb302 said...
on Dec. 20 2010 at 11:20 am
cmb302, Plaquemine, Louisiana

this poem was amazing i liked how the poet used rhetorical devices and the concept of the poem was romantic for readers it was enjoyable.. i loved it

kasiajonas ELITE, Cracow, Other

Live like you're at the bottom even when you're at the top.

It's great. I love the way you expressed everything by metaphors.

HeatherBee BRONZE, I Live In, Texas

Go on and try to tear me down. I will be rising from the ground, like a skyscraper

Love is louder than the pressure to be perfect

awww :) i like this alot!!!!!!!!! the whole concept is really cute!

INnaturegirl said...
wow this is really good!!!!!! i love the message it gives!!! great work!!!!!!!!!