Abstinence VS. Sex | Teen Ink

Abstinence VS. Sex

By Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."
—Apple’s “Think Different” commercial, 1997
“Crazy people are considered mad by the rest of the society only because their intelligence isn't understood.”
― Weihui Zhou

Society mocks
abstinence; but God detests
all fornicators.

God gives us sacred
purity; society
offers sex. Who's right?

Tell me what you think. Voice your opinion.

Positivity_At_Its_Finest DIAMOND, Morrow, Georgia

Life is a stage, get on it and perform your best act.

You can now tag other users by using "@".

OwlRose97 said...
OwlRose97, Aynor, South Carolina

Sherlock Holmes: Shut up.
DI Lestrade: I didn't say anything.
Sherlock Holmes: You were thinking. It's annoying.

Wish more people thought this way. It is a choice you have to make that is between you and God. Love it!

WindRunner GOLD, Troy, Michigan

For those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will fly on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.

I love the reference to the Lord and what He says about purity, showing the relashonship between a broken society and a perfect God.

AlliArsevell BRONZE, Boston, Massachusetts

Stand up for what you believe in, even if it means standing alone.

I agree with your statement here

pineappleprincess BRONZE, Easley, South Carolina

if you want something you have never had, you must do something that you have never done

i totally agree with you. i think that you should only have sex with someone that you truly know, trust and duh love. thats what sex is its the act of love. ^.^

hopeisnotcrazy SILVER, None, Virginia

"I don't want to start, but I will." -the amazing ZE FRANK!!!

I think a person's sexual choices, whether they chose to have sex or not, should be 100% personal choices. I don't think society or religion should have any say in what I am comfortable with, or what I do with my own body and/or relationships. Everyone should have the right to information about sex, and the right to make one's own choices about it.

east_of_ada said...
east_of_ada, Null, Other

"As for me, I am a watercolor. I wash off." (via Anne Sexton,"For My Lover, Returning To His Wife")

"I think I made you up inside my head.'' (via Sylvia Plath, "Mad Girl's Love Song")

"You called it cosmic; I thought it was icy." (via Ada Coen)

99.9999999% sure we're meant to have sex. totally. probably. :3 abstain if you'd like, but you'd have to have sex eventually.

lkk4209 BRONZE said...
lkk4209 BRONZE, Somewhere, Massachusetts

"April Fool's Day is for amateurs. You never need an excuse to mess with people's heads."

"I may be lying in the gutter, but I'm staring up at the stars, honey."

Interesting poem. And I see you have a call for us to share viewpoints! Well, here is what I believe: Soceity and religon both put too much emphasis on sex, but on opposite planes (religion leans towards "against," society leans towards "for'). People should not be mocked or shamed or treated poorly in any way based on their sexual choices, whether it be staying abstinant or having sex with multiple partners. If people are to engage in sex, they should have three things: safety and comfort with their partner, knowledge about sex, and understanding of how they personally feel about having sex.

Scarlett_the_pegacorn BRONZE, Niceville, Florida

Don't tell me how to live my life; I do what I want.

My heart leaps with excitement everytime I see you've made a new post. Thanks for making my life a little bit brighter, bridezilla. ;3

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Aren't we all crude and hormonal? XD Thanks for sharing your view on this poem, bridezilla. Always means the world when you comment. 

I personally think that sex is a sacred act, so yeah. I'm old fashioned. Sure, I'm immature, make terrible sex jokes, and of course am an awfully hormonal teenage girl, but in the end I plan to wait till I'm married. I haven't even had my first kiss though, technically, so I suppose I'm in no danger at the moment...

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

XD As much as I agree with everyone else, due to my spiritual views and teachings, I couldn't agree with you anymore. Which makes me sounds hypocritical but it's true. I mean, everyone should do what they think. I agree s*x shouldn't be gluttoned; it leads to an addiction (Silver Linings Playbook). But if you fear it also, then it's not healthy. It's normal. People lust and crave and desire. Everything in proportion. As a virgin, which I'm proud but somewhat embarrassed to admit, I want to wait for love, which sounds sissy. But I don't want to give up something so important (?) to just anyone. After that, screw it; I gotta make up for lost times. XD Sorry everyone else. I love how you analyzed this poem. Seriously you analyzed it. And created a thesis. (Would you complete it with endnotes? and whatever else a thesis contains?) XD I appreciate your take on this. Much much much. Your opinion to me is not "Heathen". Everyone is entitled to express their thoughts. 

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Thank you, MIdnight, for expressing your views. I appreciate it that you took the time to read this. And then meditate on it. And after, expressing your thoughts. 

migwam ELITE said...
migwam ELITE, Tumwater, Washington

"Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present." --Marcus Aurelius

I appear to offer my Heathen Opinion on the Most Excellent Haiku :))   Sex is sex. Both society and religious schools of thought attach wayyyy too much meaning to it, creating undesirable extremes: On one plane, sex is glorified, turned into a product to be sold, exploited, rather than a natural part of life on earth. On the other plane, sex is feared, which can lead to both mental and emotional issues that can stem from constantly having to deny one's body a need which can be satisfied in tons of different ways on the grounds that one MIGHT go to a land full of fire and icky stuff if one does. OR, this same fear of sex can lead to rebellion, and then we're back in the gorge-yourself thing that society has done. Sex is not wrong. It can be detrimental if not used at a happy medium- just as under- or over-eating can be- but the bottom line is, a body is a body. As long as one maintains respect for everyone else involved, and proper measures are taken to prevent disease and pregnancy, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.  And that is my rant for the year.

midnightwoah said...
midnightwoah, Monett, Missouri

"We accept the love we think we deserve." -Stephen Chbosky

It oblivious that society makes intercourse normal too have before marriage. It leads to impurity, single mothers and more chances of spreading sexual diseases. I agree with God always because he alldready told us its a fallen world. Great questions

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Thank you for voicing your opinions and your thoughts. I appreciate the thorough feedback.

Brisa PLATINUM said...
Brisa PLATINUM, Wasilla, Alaska

"Si dan a tú papel alineado, escribas el otro camino."
"If they give you lined paper, write the other way"
-Juan Ramon Jiminez

Only a few centuries ago our country's society leaned heavily towards abstinence and strict purity...in the span of two world wars it changed radically. However God has always been pretty adamant in His rules, haha. If consistency is anything to judge by, I'd say God's right :) thanks for the poem and for putting yourself out there.