Bravery | Teen Ink

Bravery

By SaphiraBrightscales DIAMOND, Islamabad, Other
SaphiraBrightscales DIAMOND, Islamabad, Other

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
- Maya Angelou
When i was little/I used to point a chubby finger toward the dark sky/And ask my father/why some stars moved and others didn’t/He would laugh and explain that some were airplanes/I still wish on them today ~ Laugh-It-Out
The feathers of a crow are black/The ink of my pen is blacker/The pain of my heart is blackest~ Mckay
If love produced a blossom/I’d take it in my palm/What a blessing, the bright color!/How soothing, such a balm!/I’d keep a petal for my own/The rest, drop from my hands/For such a flower would multiply/And populate the lands~ thesilentraven
And I began to rival legends/Long entombed before my birth./But for all my much envied fame/The lust for more would not abate./The plaques and prizes with my name/Will, like all things, disintegrate. ~ TheEpic95 now known as Helena_Noel

Console a woman,
Genuinely vexed, weeping
True bravery 'tis.

:))) Just a little something that popped into my head.. Gosh how I loathe men that say I cannot bear to see a crying woman. As in they get spooked or what?? I don't get it..Not in the way when a loved one says I can't see you cry but when someone says forcefully "Don't cry, it's ridiculous" Get me?? That's pathetic. What do you think?

on Jun. 24 2013 at 5:11 am

- Maya Angelou

It's not like he has that much work. Two novels to be precise, but I learned much, though a lot of the stuff I did not like. And wow that sure must have been amazing, actually studying something one loves andd having a person that actually knows it to teach you. I wish I could. Hahahaha, yes grammar was one like a cruel rival. I would almost always forget to  write "<name> and I" instead of "<name> and me" and other such stuff... Insane sometimes. :P

Dynamo DIAMOND said...
on Jun. 23 2013 at 10:06 am
Dynamo DIAMOND, Lahore, Other

I used to think falling in love would be personal. But it's all a big public show.

Well, I haven't really read Khalid Hosseini's work. Guess I might try him this summer.  I studied poetry two years back witha  really good teacher (who is nowadays in Berlin) so I know a little bit 'bout it. I agree about breaking rules, I never could learn grammar and the rules and stuff. I guess we'd be better without learning the difference b/w transitive and intransitive verbs. :P 

on Jun. 23 2013 at 4:54 am

- Maya Angelou

wow, really? I did not know that... As I told AugustSummerFling, this Haiku was inspired by Rasheed's character from "A Thousand Splendid Suns" by Khaled Hosseni. And I only found out about them this year because as long as I can remember I've studied in APS and they never taught poetry, nor did I venture to learn on my own, the technicalities.. Because that was what I loved about English poetry, the lack of rules :P hahaha I know, pretty lousy, no game is amazing without rules, but in this one I like devising my own. ... Anyway I love writing Haiku now, it is a most beautiful form of poetry, especially because in so little words, one can sum up so much meaning. Also have multiple meanings, and such poems are a pleasure to decipher. Thank You ever so much for reading :) Thank You.

Dynamo DIAMOND said...
on Jun. 22 2013 at 10:05 am
Dynamo DIAMOND, Lahore, Other

Well, this does relate to the concept of chivalry that was a characteristic feature of the old Roman dudes. You did a good job with the haiku. It's a wonderful thing to write haikus. I found about them only after I read a poorly translated book a bunch of years back, but now they do seem good. Good Luck for the future writings! :)

- Maya Angelou

............................Teen INK!!

- Maya Angelou

Oh My God!!  That is EXACTLY where I got the inpiration for this from! I only read it recently and I hated hated hated Rasheed when he said that... I mean not like I've never heard the sentence before but when he said it, I realized how much I loathed that.. and you know at first I was basically writing how I thought such people were the biggest cowards but then I thought to write something that had my passion as well as said something positive so I took that and turned it upside down and ended with writing about the best kind of courage...  I am ever so happy that you liked this... And believe me Kavya, literally smiling with all my teeth showing, that you got it in that exact way that I had meant for it to be... Wow... Thank You ever so much!

AugustSummerFling PLATINUM, Mylapore, Chennai, Other

'For you, a thousand times over.' - Hassan, The Kite Runner

A professional writer is an amateur who didn't quit.

I can totally relate to this. Has happened to someone who's really close to me. Have you read the book 'A thousand splendid suns'? If you haven't, you should. I want to scream this haiku at the character Rasheed, who I genuinely loathe because of his mistreatment of women. Very well written :) loved this!

- Maya Angelou

According to Google Translator it means "This is the perfect Haiku." And I am overwhelmed by joy at your words but Alas! Mckay I do not know Arabic...I know Urdu which is my mother tongue and English which is the official language here but no others though I'd love to have the opportunity to learn many others.. :D  I'm so glad that you got I meant, I was afraid people might take it differently... :D Love, Saphira.

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."
—Apple’s “Think Different” commercial, 1997
“Crazy people are considered mad by the rest of the society only because their intelligence isn't understood.”
― Weihui Zhou

I sooooo get what you're talking about. And feel the same way too. Men cry too! Sometimes over stupider stuff than women. Haha :) You're always displaying a talent for the haiku. This one is magnificent. هذا الهايكو هو الكمال. I'm I correct with this? ^u^