You're Smart But | Teen Ink

You're Smart But MAG

By meritbadge GOLD, Edison, New Jersey
meritbadge GOLD, Edison, New Jersey

98, written,
On your Pre-Calc test. You curse
Off those last two points.

His low GPA
Your arrogant grin. “Oh, he's
One of the dumb ones.”

I see you punching
Numbers in calculators
Wounds in people's hearts

To a boy who mistakingly puts studying before friendship.

dylanlalala GOLD, Colchester, Vermont

"How vain is it to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live?" - Henry David Thoreau

I read this haiku, and at first I didn't understand, because I think I'm that girl. I didn't realize that others felt this way... 

Anyway, beautiful poem.

DiamondsIntheGrass GOLD, Martinsville, New Jersey

Worry is simply a misuse of the imagination.

i had to read this quite a few times to understand the basic meaning, but once i finally got it it was okay.

TheOcherousRodentia PLATINUM, Toronto, Other

"Life is infinitely growing;
It's capacity of love and fear is impossible
To calculate by the means of math, or
The properties of science, and to conatain
Its ferious unpredictability is only a virtue
That humans despire

I love this poem because i completely relate, i know a girl shes really smart, and she competes with me with work, and she basically doesnt have friends, doesnt know how to receive friends cant keep one, and i`m gogin to show her this poem, because sadly, i`m her competetion and I her closest friend, even though i dislike i dont hate her, i fele sorry for her, and she really needs friendshp, she doesnt even under love herself, she`d rather chose arranged marriage so she could study more, her whole like is studying...this poem was amazing, and so honest, thank you

Skeezics GOLD said...
Skeezics GOLD, Eatonville, Washington

A childs voice, however honest and true, is meaningless to those who have forgotten how to listen.
Everyone faces obsticals. What defines you is how you overcome them. -J.R. Celski

i agree 100 percent with what you are saying IndigoE. I too write alot better and believe that friends are not necessary. :)

Saudade_indigo PLATINUM, Winnipeg, Other
I've moved a few times too, and it takes me awile to make friends. In the times when I don't have them, I can write a hundred times better and I'm able to move more into the book I'm trying to write. Although friends may be nice, I don't think they're necessary because I am kind of a solitary person. It's ironic that that conversation is on this poem because I am quite smart, like that boy, and when there aren't any friends for me to go to, my schoolwork pushes me and makes me content

Boosflash DIAMOND, Papillion, Nebraska

What the front door.

this is very nice captain. very nice. 5 stars.

Jane_P PLATINUM, San Clemente, California

When asked about race...

"Well, when I went to the bathroom I was Russian, and when I came out I was Finnish."

or, alternatively:

"Irish I could tell you."

I agree. Sometimes the smartest people are the most shallow.

KonyaB!!! GOLD said...
KonyaB!!! GOLD, Edison, New Jersey

I LOVE IT. There are a lot of those kids who think they are all that because they are so smart. It's annoying. Uggh.

You're from Edison? Cool, same here!! What school do you go to? (I might know you....ah, that would be weird and awesome at the same time). lol :D

Skeezics GOLD said...
Skeezics GOLD, Eatonville, Washington

Honestly, you seem to be (according to what you have on your profile) someone that i can somewhat relate to.

ZiRaww! SILVER said...
ZiRaww! SILVER, Phoenix, Arizona

“Giving up doesn’t always mean you are weak; sometimes it means that you are strong enough to let go. ”

No problem

Skeezics GOLD said...
on Mar. 3 2010 at 12:09 am
Skeezics GOLD, Eatonville, Washington

Well thank you for that.

ZiRaww! SILVER said...
ZiRaww! SILVER, Phoenix, Arizona

Well I'm still here if you ever want to talk.

Skeezics GOLD said...
Skeezics GOLD, Eatonville, Washington

"Girls night out" is an empty concept for me. My parents are ridiculously over protective. so it would not be a possibility even if i wanted to, which really i don't

ZiRaww! SILVER said...
ZiRaww! SILVER, Phoenix, Arizona

I'm sure you would love having a girls night out though. I'm pretty sure you wont mind compony. so if you ever need a friend, I am always (well not always) here if you neeed someone to talk

Skeezics GOLD said...
Skeezics GOLD, Eatonville, Washington

I am sorry for getting angry. I get very defensive without meaning to. And it isn't really my time yet either but i was forced to grow up very fast becasue of what i have lived through. I am 15 and i have moved 9 times, been to more places than most can count and had to deal with trying to make friends (which i am really really not good at) and trying to adapt to so many places its rediculous.

meritbadge GOLD, Edison, New Jersey
I think you need friends no matter what age you are.

ZiRaww! SILVER said...
ZiRaww! SILVER, Phoenix, Arizona

I didn't mean that in a rude way, I meant it as when one gets older; like when your 50 or so. I didn't mean to offend you. I am sorry for angering you. And I know I need a lot of growing up to do, but it's not my time yet.

Skeezics GOLD said...
on Feb. 26 2010 at 9:45 am
Skeezics GOLD, Eatonville, Washington

Excuse me :( Just becasue i am able to live my life without having to rely on "friends" to listen to all the petty concerns that people have you think i need to grow up!!!!! Until you have lived through what i have lived through you have no place to put an opinion on how i need to grow up. It is you that needs to grow up!!!!!!

ZiRaww! SILVER said...
on Feb. 26 2010 at 9:01 am
ZiRaww! SILVER, Phoenix, Arizona

What about when you "grow" up?

Skeezics GOLD said...
Skeezics GOLD, Eatonville, Washington

Being alone honestly doesn't bother me at all. Like i said, i have one friend that i care about but i don't need them.