Empty Picture Frame | Teen Ink

Empty Picture Frame

By juliasarar GOLD, West Chester, Pennsylvania
juliasarar GOLD, West Chester, Pennsylvania

"Not all those who wander are lost"-J.R.R. Tolkien

In the large house, on the crooked bookshelf, next to the stack of old high school yearbooks, in the picture frame there was a photograph. You could look, as closely as you could for as long could, and this is what you’d see:
Two girls, the blonde and the brunette, suntanned and embracing each other on a boardwalk many summers ago. You’d see their smiles, carefree and joyful. You could see their perfect friendship, as clear as the glass that protected it.
But that is all you would see.
The photograph didn’t show the blonde looking into the mirror each night and telling herself she was ugly. It didn’t show the brunette up each night as well, hiding from her so called “home”.
The photograph didn’t show the blonde crying on the brunette’s shoulder, makeup running down her cheeks with her tears. And the brunette comforting her, as if her problems weren’t as important.
The photograph didn’t show the blonde slowly shutting out the world, retreating into a self-made darkness. It didn’t show the brunette trying to fit into the world as she sat out alone in the cold, dark, nights.
The photograph couldn’t tell you how that two weeks from that weekend on the boardwalk, the two friends would fight. It didn’t show their seemingly perfect friendship cracking and crumbling. It didn’t show both of their regret, all of their tears.
The photograph didn’t show the blond returning to the world. Or the brunette falling out of it.
So I guess the “perfect” picture in the Blonde girl’s large house, on the crooked bookshelf, next to the stack of old high school yearbooks, in the frame didn’t show you much at all. The frame was practically empty.

I wrote this piece a while ago. I read a prompt about describing a photograph and i thought about going deeper than just the photo itself. I had played with the idea of the struggles between a "brunette" and a "blonde" . It wasn't until I was given the title "Empty Picture Frame" in writing club when I actually wrote it. In my writing, I enjoy working with friendship and bitter topics, which I think I covered here. I did turn this into my creative writing class and recieved good feedback. I hope you enjoyed it!

WolfWhisperer0911 BRONZE, Austin, Texas
@juliasarar Yeah. However, I may send you the link to my story.

@SpeakerofWolves OOOOH Okay, I can't wait!

@SpeakerofWolves The link didn't send me to your piece?

WolfWhisperer0911 BRONZE, Austin, Texas
@juliasarar I took it off due to the writer's block, but I will bring it back when I finish all the chapters. I'll give you the link so that you get a sneak peek on my story!

Awesome! I'll go check it out! Thanks!

Thank you so much!

WolfWhisperer0911 BRONZE, Austin, Texas
@juliasarar Here is the link to my story!!! :D TeenInk.com/novels/fan_fiction/book/172623/Five-Nights-at-Freddys/ I didn't write all the chapters because I wanted to give sort of a feeling that the readers wants to know what happened. But, reassure that I am working hard on Chapter 2!! By the way, love the poem!!

Thisisreal_life PLATINUM, Manhattan, Kansas

"so do it. Decide. Is this the person you want to be? Is this the life you want to live? Is this the best you can be?"
"I survived the fire because the fire within me burns brighter than the one around me"

I love it! I enjoy how I can out myself in the shoes of the writer! Keep writing!!!!