Scrabble | Teen Ink

Scrabble

By Allen. PLATINUM, Palo Alto, California
Allen. PLATINUM, Palo Alto, California

[i]No matter how much people try to put you down or make you think other things about yourself, the only person you can trust about who you really are is you[/i] -Crusher-P

"katie, how do you spell

the six sided thing

that you roll?"

i ask

my friend.

"d-i-e,

die."

my opponent

removes

his pieces

and chooses

his word

again.

"katie says that you spell it

that way,"

i say,

resting my hands in my sweater

pocket.

"and i say so too."

I played Scrabble today. It was an interesting game against one of my teachers, but I perservered and ended up winning. 

And die is indeed spelled die, for clarification.

on Dec. 11 2015 at 5:40 am
Allen. PLATINUM, Palo Alto, California

Ahh, thank you so much! You know, I just changed my name, so unless you were really checking, you wouldn't have noticed. I'm Allen now, yay!

CNBono17 SILVER, Rural, South Carolina

Lego ergo sum (Latin—I read, therefore, I am)
The pen is mightier than the sword—unknown
Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, and in purity—1 Timothy 4:12

Once again, you show your amazing talent. BTW, I'm smacking myself in the head for just now realizing you changed your username. I should have figured that out weeks ago...Ah, well, I'll redeem myself by saying that this is a fantastic piece that I'm sure any writer (or anyone who likes words) can relate to! Wonderful job!

RobotPenn. SILVER, El Paso, Texas

"Profound change is cumulative."

My pleasure. I love your work. :)

on Apr. 21 2015 at 8:01 am
Allen. PLATINUM, Palo Alto, California

Thank you, Robot! It's nice to be talking to you again (and even better to have you reading my work, you wonderful commenter, you.) I'm glad you enjoyed this style, though I don't know if I'll write more like this.

RobotPenn. SILVER, El Paso, Texas

"Profound change is cumulative."

Scrabble! God, I think I may have spent half my life arguing the correct spelling of a word. And possibly suggesting words to my opponents because, well, I kind of just like finding words. Makes me out to be a pretentious jerk sometimes, but oh well. I really liked this poem. It describes a relatable situation in a simple and beautiful way. Those are my favorite poems, to tell you the truth. :)

Allen. PLATINUM, Palo Alto, California

Thank you, Beauty. Always be yourself! Be different! Be absolutely ridiculous and then calm down and write something about it.

BeautyWhispers PLATINUM, Nevada City, California

Be Yourself, Be Unique, Be Me. :) - By BeautyWhispers

Very unique and different, I like it!;)

Allen. PLATINUM, Palo Alto, California

It did actually happen, I was glad to win. Thank you for reading and all of your comments.

TheBlackCrow901 SILVER, Chatham, Illinois

"Let this be your honour: always love more than you are loved and never to be second in this."

you probably wrote this from a real experience but it reads like a metaphor, pretty rad effect!

on Apr. 12 2015 at 1:28 am
Allen. PLATINUM, Palo Alto, California

Thank you. I was doing this rather experimentally, so it's nice that people like it.

A-C-Y BRONZE said...
on Apr. 10 2015 at 7:02 am
A-C-Y BRONZE, New Taipei City, Other
Excellent piece! I'll say I don't know much about poems, but the idea of combining a story with a poem is great! Good job on this piece! :)

Allen. PLATINUM, Palo Alto, California

Thank you, Azurte. I do my best, and I'm glad it's paying off.

.king. SILVER said...
on Mar. 13 2015 at 12:10 am
.king. SILVER, Yeux Bien Tres Bien, Other

( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°)

Awesome! You have a really nice style.. and the fusion between a story and poem is indeed swell.

Allen. PLATINUM, Palo Alto, California

I meant to post this as a reply, but clumsy fingers happened and I'm trying again- Actually, this just happened in real life (well, I left out Katie's last name, which I originally used). I did find it rather funny after I won the game, though. Thank you very much for commenting.

Allen. PLATINUM, Palo Alto, California

Actually, this just happened in real life (well, I left out Katie's last name, which I originally used). I did find it rather funny after I won the game, though. Thank you very much for commenting.

Yoela PLATINUM said...
Yoela PLATINUM, Seattle, Washington

"My powers stretch over the horizon and work even when my eyes are closed"

Cool piece!! I love that it feels like you are tying in a concept of death into the innocence of a board game. Intentional or not, it is a super cool effect!!