Janus | Teen Ink

Janus

By Exeunt BRONZE, Basking Ridge, New Jersey
Exeunt BRONZE, Basking Ridge, New Jersey

The Carlson Family places a considerable cheque in the collection basket, as the choir sings carol after carol.

Surely God will favour their generous behaviour.

The politician hands out bowls of soup to the hungry, making sure to shake their hand, and show them his smile.

A simple man that only cares, there isn’t another candidate that compares.

The CEO pledges to give a percentage of all purchases to a charity that they pick.

A company that cares for sure, they aren’t all corporate monsters.

Kindness is tainted. Kindness is a filthy mask, a cover-up, a filter. Kindness is a device that fuels the vices of the men on top.

Everyone needs to know about our God-fearing show.

Don’t get too close, but I’ll do anything for the votes.

Perceived good intentions will drive up sales. Give marketing their bonuses today.

True kindness is blind. True kindness is a lifestyle, an invisible force, the intention. True kindness is found at the bottom, where there is nothing left to give but yourself.

The Carlson Family donates their tithes to the church online, from home.

“...”

The politician speaks out against homelessness, despite popular opinion.

“…”

The CEO diverts a percentage of his paycheck to a favourable charity, anonymously.

“...”

Naturally cynical in nature, I wrote this poem in commentary of what people believe to be kindness today. 

Kindness is never black and white.