Something Really Important | Teen Ink

Something Really Important

September 21, 2014
By erihill GOLD, Trussville, Alabama
erihill GOLD, Trussville, Alabama
11 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"i just wanna be wonderful."


What do you see when you see me?

Race?

Dress?

Facial expression?

Or just a girl?

 

What do you hear when you hear me?

Enunciation?

Word choice and placement?

Voice Pitch?

Or does it just go in one ear and out the other?

 

You only see what i show you. 

What you don't see, is the churning of my mind. Constantly thinking, pondering, just trying to slightly fathom this conundrum we call life. You dont see me struggiling to gain constant understanding, while my knowledge is constantly expanding, and my inner constantly flying and landing, but my outer is just standing still, like feet caught in wet concrete. 

 

You dont see the daily processing of people, places, things. Like are they the superficial type? Thinking the physical is the best that life brings? Or are they the intellectual type? Figuring out why things are the way they are, and doing their best to make a change like Dr. Martin Luther King.

 

You only hear what I say.

I know that statement might sound stupid, but it means so much. Like duh, you only hear what I say, but i want you to feel it. You have to get beneath the words. Dig deeper than its literal surface layer meaning, until you get to the bedrock of truth and discovery. Then and only then are you capable of recovery and building on top of discovery after discovery.

You don't hear the pain behind the syllables. The valleys between the pinnacles, the undercovers and subliminals. You hear me, but you don't feel me. You see me but damn sure can't read me. 

 

Sometimes you just have to look a little harder and listen a little closer.