The Past | Teen Ink

The Past

By EmilytheBelleofA. DIAMOND, Athens, Georgia
EmilytheBelleofA. DIAMOND, Athens, Georgia

To love is to be vulnerable; Triumph is born out of struggle; We notice shadows most when they stand alone in the midst of overwhelming light.

And I'm still trying to grasp the past,
Of what's already gone, of what's already happened.
Of what's already starting to become a memory.
And for some reason, I'm still living in yesterday's excitement, in yesterday's memory.
I'm still replaying the hurt, the crying.
I'm still trying to walk with yesterday, when it has already happened.
When I should live in today's walk, today's memory, today's excitement, today's love.

You don't have to forget your past, unless you really want to. But you also, can't live in the past, because you've already lived in it, and you have to let it go. It's hard to let go, but it's not impossible. It's possible.

It is very hard to forget the past, Liv.Harris! I learned that the hard way, when I lived in the past too long. It was...just very hard. But it wasn't impossible and somehow I made this far. Thank you, so much! I'll keep writing, since you've encouraged me! Thank you! ^_^

Olivia-Atlet ELITE, Dardenne Prairie, Missouri

"To these the past hath its phantoms,
More real than solid earth;
And to these death does not mean decay,
But only another birth"
- Isabella Banks

The past is so hard to forget, and your poem tells the truth. :) Keep Writing! Please!

You're welcome! And no, thank you!

Wontgiveup17 PLATINUM, Bloomington, Illinois

Life beats down and crushes the soul but art reminds you that you have one. -Stella Adler
He who lives upon hope will die fasting.
-Benjamin Franklin
If you're absent during my struggle. Don't expect to be present during my success.

This poem is so inspiring and so very true. Amazing job Hun thank you for sharing your talents and this wonderful work of art

Thank you so much, TheComet. I've had some hard times in the past, and even though, I knew I had to stop living in the past, it was hard because it had become a habit. But noe, I'm trying to be here, to be in the present, and I really do hope I'm living in today. Thank you, so much.

TheComet PLATINUM, Mostaganem, Other

"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret" -Ambrose Bierce
" Be yourself! Everybody else is already taken ;)"
"Don't go where the path leads you. Go instead where there's no path and leave a trail ;)"-R.W.Emerson

The Past! I think it's a little hard sometimes...hard to ferget and especially when today is not what we expected to be when things are not going the right way, so we kind of keep living in the past to fill the empty holes of Today. Other than that I just LOVE your poem. Keep writing...