On the Other Side of the World | Teen Ink

On the Other Side of the World

By EmilytheBelleofA. DIAMOND, Athens, Georgia
EmilytheBelleofA. DIAMOND, Athens, Georgia

To love is to be vulnerable; Triumph is born out of struggle; We notice shadows most when they stand alone in the midst of overwhelming light.

Sometimes, I wonder if you see
me. . .
Your little girl,
on the other side of the world.

Sometimes, I wonder what it would be
like if I had
a dad. . .
but you're on the other side of the world.

Sometimes, I wonder if you know
that your little girl,
on the other side of the world. . .
has to let you go.

Sometimes, I wonder if you knew
what you did to your Little girl,
on the other side of the world. . .
that you left her in fears and tears.

Sometimes, I wonder if you knew
what your little girl,
on the other side of the world. . .
has been through.

Sometimes, I wonder if you knew what you did. . .
that your little girl,
on the other side of the world. . .
doesn't know how to be a kid.

Sometimes, i wonder if you know. . .
that when you had to go,
you left your little girl
on the other side of the world. . .

Sometimes, I wonder if you knew
that your little girl,
on the other side of the world. . .
Misses you.

I wrote this poem, a week before my birthday.I had a conversation with my mother, and the conversation and my thoughts and my crazy, amazing God, inspired me.

I wrote this because it was how I felt and still feel. If someone asked me, why I write so much. . .it's because I feel so much.

My parents are divorced, and as it's hard on them, it's hard on the children or teens too.

All I hope for, is that someone will understand. Whether your parents are divorced or not, I hope someone will understand.

Thank you so much! ^_^ I haven't had a comment on this for awhile, so thank you for commenting on this poem! ^_^ Your comment means a lot. Thank you again!

TheOceansBlackBird SILVER, Richmond, California

One persons craziness is another persons reality
-Tim Burton

and then there's this one
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮

This poem left me speachless... but only becuase the thoughts going through my mind where so loud. Im going to keep this short and simply say that I loved it.

: ) i'm glad my poem perfectly describes you rthoughts and emotions. Thank you so much, for reading my poem! XD

Olivia-Atlet ELITE, Dardenne Prairie, Missouri

"To these the past hath its phantoms,
More real than solid earth;
And to these death does not mean decay,
But only another birth"
- Isabella Banks

This is a poem that perfectly describes my thoughts and emotions! My mom and dad are divorced as wel. :)

Thank you, again so much! And I'll try, to stay true to myself. Thank you ^_^

Wontgiveup17 PLATINUM, Bloomington, Illinois

Life beats down and crushes the soul but art reminds you that you have one. -Stella Adler
He who lives upon hope will die fasting.
-Benjamin Franklin
If you're absent during my struggle. Don't expect to be present during my success.

This is absolutely wonderfully written and sadly relatable. I love the emotion you created through the words. You are an amazing writer Hun. Keep writing and keep staying true to yourself

Thank you again, so much! I can let the past go, but I don't have to forget, and yes, it will always be there. And as hard as my life was, it's my own life and I wouldn't trade it for another life. And I'll definitely read your work! Thank you!

TheComet PLATINUM, Mostaganem, Other

"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret" -Ambrose Bierce
" Be yourself! Everybody else is already taken ;)"
"Don't go where the path leads you. Go instead where there's no path and leave a trail ;)"-R.W.Emerson

I may not know exactly how you feel cuz thank god my parents are happily married, but I have a friend of mine whose parents are divorced and I can see how it leaves a big hole in someone's life. Naturally as god wants us to be, everyone of us needs its two parents to have a full life, and any changes would leave scars in a heart. No matter how hard you try to disguise and forget but somehow it is always there. may God be with you ModernDayEmilyDickson

on Jun. 20 2014 at 8:42 am

Thank you so much again, for honestly telling me. What you told me has helped me, and i hope I'll write better, but for now all I strive for is to put my feelings into words. I chose moderndayEmilyDickinson because I loved how she wrote and how she wasn't scared of showing her different poems and how she put her feelings into words. I'm glad my poems or writing isn't like Miss Emily Dickison's poems. I want my poems to be liked or enjoyed, for my own writing. Again, I really thank you. I'll try to use the corrections, you told me. 

on Jun. 16 2014 at 7:57 am

Thank you so much, for honestly telling me what you thought of it, and for reading it.

Shade3043 DIAMOND, Shade3043 Did This, In Case Of Anonymous, Other

When I was a boy, I would always hear scary things in the news and my mother would say to me, "Always look for the helpers. Everywhere you look you will always find people helping." - Fred Rogers

I think it might be time to get a new name. The name "modern day Emily Dickinson" is extremely arrogant. Anyway, on to the poem. It's repetitive, but it has enough emotion and good wording to be a decent poem. Certainly not Emily Dickinson quality work, but good work nonetheless. 3.5/5

Jade.I.Am ELITE, Fishers, Indiana

“If you're losing your soul and you know it, then you've still got a soul left to lose”
― Charles Bukowski

As someone whose parents are divorced, I can definitely relate to this. I like the repetition of phrases here, and the emotion behind the poem. Good job :) the only thing I would say to work on is word choice, and making sure you're being descriptive enough in your writing.