Unconscious Prison | Teen Ink

Unconscious Prison

June 4, 2014
By sleeping_smarts10 SILVER, Springfield, Virginia
sleeping_smarts10 SILVER, Springfield, Virginia
5 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.
Mark Twain

"You did in your twenties what you knew how to do. And when you knew better, you did better. And you should not be judged for the person who you were, but for the person you are trying to be and the woman that you are now."
--Maya Angelou speaking to Oprah Winfrey


For some sleep is rest for the weary.
But for others, dreamless sleep is the escape from the prisoned.
Prisoned by the realities of life and its emotions.
The light doesn't bring new days and opportunities but continuations of old problems.
Because how does light exist if darkness wasn't present first?
The darkness brings voices that have been silenced by the light.
Up arise the thoughts of your evil unconscious.
The graveyard gates are closed and Oh, the bells of past sins ring in their coffins
The questions of healing are brought up as the lilies decay and innocence is lost.
Arisen and up are these pasts sins whispering, "My Death has not been vanquished and here is where I linger".
"Though you thought my time had come but alas. Go to pews of the Church and may your God redeem you. Let Virgin Mary hear your confessions."
Oh but the Priest says to let your heart be drunk with spirit and love. May you drink to forget but never forget to drink, so that your body may be numb to the heart's decisions. Drunken words are sober thoughts.


The author's comments:
I was keeping a dream journal for a class assignment and I thought it would be great to actually remember your dreams. I actually hated the assignment because I realized that my dreams were sad and depressing. It became a burden as I would analyze the dreams and I found out what the symbols meant.