dix sur dix | Teen Ink

dix sur dix

By migwam ELITE, Tumwater, Washington
migwam ELITE, Tumwater, Washington

"Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present." --Marcus Aurelius

thinking about a black eye
and how our tenderness
is sometimes
our grace.

thinking about grace
and how her shoulders move when she is
turning away from me.

thinking about leaving
and how we angle our bodies
secretly
to face the sun while we can
knowing how much time we have
or do not have
before dark.

thinking about the dark
when it is not dark
when stars scatter before us
when the delta is black and we run
across the beach, racing waves
and our own inevitable
growing up.

thinking about growing up
holding hands and
taking great leaps
into puddles of joy that splash
and wet our knees,
and give us colds for days.

thinking about days,
the meaning of a day,
the immeasurable value in twenty-four
measly hours;
we wash our hands in them,
fall asleep in them,
roll them around in our mouths like marbles until they
shine like gold.

thinking about gold
about a drunken moon the colour of a
tired wedding ring,
the kind you grow old with as it
stumbles into the sky.

thinking about the sky
and all the things that belong to it
all the prayers that live in it
all the water we drink from it
all the stars that fall from it
all the light that moves in it.

thinking about lights
red and blue
about how our collisions
define us,
they break our bones and cut our throats
tear into our minds and rebuild us
throw us far away from safety
and black our eyes.

thinking about a black eye
and how our grace
is sometimes
our downfall.

migwam ELITE said...
migwam ELITE, Tumwater, Washington

Everyone always ends with that with which we begin. That's just plain life. As usual, Google Translate failed me. I meant for the title to mean "ten in ten", as in, ten thoughts in October, but nice and fancy-like. I'm just a bumbling idiot, though, oh well. Thank you for your high praise, as always, dear friend. (For the record- there is space for us all, if we must claw or bite or bribe, we make for ourselves our spaces, and then must protect them.)

migwam ELITE said...
migwam ELITE, Tumwater, Washington

Haha, as usual, Google Translate has failed me. It is meant to mean "ten IN ten" (as in, ten thoughts in the tenth month)... I am not at all fluent in French, and I am not sure which translation for the title is correct. On a decidedly nicer note, again, as usual, you flatter, my dear. This poem makes me proud, but you have a delightful uniquity about your work that all but gives me chills. I think if we have to push, shove, claw, maul or just yell a lot in our own little ways, should we decide to take them and their various challenges and responsibilities on, there are spots in the literary world for all of us (hell, don't we already have our feet in the door, here?) I really dig your little interpretation of this- the circular nature of this poem was definitely intentional. Thankyouthankyou as always, my deaarrr :)

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."
—Apple’s “Think Different” commercial, 1997
“Crazy people are considered mad by the rest of the society only because their intelligence isn't understood.”
― Weihui Zhou

The literary worlds must make space for at least one writer from our generation: that space, I'm envious to admit (XD) is for you. I'm in awe, sitting here, silently reading these "TASTY" words which you have created. I love how you end with what you began. It sort of reminds me of how Life works. You usually end up with what you begin: more often than not, it's nothing. I had to Google in order to understand the title. I enjoy the French. It's a language I've always wanted to learn; but until now, it remains as an enigma for me. Also, the picture you used could not have been better. Your imagery is as always immaculate. Congrats on another Editors' Choice. By now, they must be no surprise for you. This is a dix sur dix for me. (I hope that's the correct translation. XD)~~Mckay. (Ten out of Ten?)