Daydreaming | Teen Ink

Daydreaming

By Kuurio BRONZE, Henderson, Nevada
Kuurio BRONZE, Henderson, Nevada

“People live their lives bound by what they accept as correct and true. That's how they define "reality". But what does it mean to be "correct" or "true"? Merely vague concepts ... their "reality" may all be a mirage." --Itatchi uchiha

I’m carrying the burden of your expiring goodbye on my shoulders like a mask on my face and a shield over my heart. I’m not sure why you can last so long as to not even say goodnight, or that you’ll see me in your dreams.
Don’t you miss me too?
Don’t you want me to call as bad as I want you?
I miss the sound of raindrops on wind chimes, and the sound of the wind: giving me Goosebumps on my flushed skin.
It’s chilling and hot and I want to feel it for the rest of my life: the rain, the wind, and the weather.
I want to go back to when it was cool, not so cold: like winter is approaching, light footed and heavy with need.
Remember when all it was only just summer and the smell of green grass?
Now all that seems to be left of the sun is the ashes it has left behind.
Burnt and smoking with broken promises of a bright future now gone cold.
Pedantic as I am, you hear my cries and yet turn blind to the hot rain that streams down my face like a worried, terrified, sweat that you get when you know something is ending.
Something that you can’t stop.
There is a seal on your lips when I am around
You are a caged spirit, I know you are.
I’ve stolen your freedom, haven’t I?
Haven’t I?
I flew too close to the sun with dreams of the moon and the star becoming one.
But the string broke and I fell, plummeting, watching, hoping the tan arm of the sun might reach out its rays and touch my face again.
Instead is turns east and lowers itself into a rest without me, the sky is dark and empty and my eyes only show a black sky and stars that I do not want to reach for.
Nor can I now, as I lay on the ground from my fall: dizzily looking up into the blinking gods that watch me endlessly attempt to reach for something that was never mine to hold and possess.
I will just lay here now, part of the earth and the balmy green grass as the sun rises and falls without a backwards glance at the STUPID bird who thought she could fly close enough to the sun so that he might love her like her him.
Not mindful was she, that she had cut wings and it was all simply a dream.
She had never flown so high as to catch the sun.
She had never left her cage where she lived endlessly gazing at the happy, dancing sky that so easily retreated into dark or light when she fancied joining it.
She did and forever will remain on the ground where she belongs, only flapping her flightless wings when she is daydreaming.

Lost love is nothing to nurture, it is something you should cast away from you so as not to get burned in the flames of the forgotten, lest you become a poet.
-Me.