Princesses | Teen Ink

Princesses

By LexusMarie PLATINUM, Las Cruces, New Mexico
LexusMarie PLATINUM, Las Cruces, New Mexico

The more control you have over yourself, the less control others have over you.

Cinderella taught me to never lose hope,
she said to be patient and love will soon show.
Rapunzel always chased her dreams
and Belle found beauty in the heart of a beast.
Mulan was impressively brave and strong
while Tiana achieved even if it seemed prolonged.
Ariel sacrificed for the one that she loved
and Snow White was positive when push came to shove.
Pocahontas stood up for what she believed,
Jasmine was herself and not someone’s trophy.
Aurora didn’t underestimate the power of a kiss,
they all taught me lessons that I reminisce.
Fascinated when I was a little girl
back then my hair laid in small little curls.
I wonder now why I can’t be like them
when all the stories had a happy end.
The glass slipper fits and the mermaids swim
it’s easy to find someone and be in love with them.
Singing songs for merriment,
living a life of cherishment.
“A dream is a wish your heart makes!”
Isn’t that what they all say?
The princesses lived a life of happiness and trust,
so what about the rest of us?

I have been thinking of ideas for a poem about princesses and decided not to go the cheery route. I thought it best to put the lessons of ten princesses and how they are good lessons, but life is not a fairy-tale. And the lessons taught aren't achieved by some pixie-dust. So, happy ever after!

MissExploration BRONZE, Vancouver, Washington

It Can Only Fly When It Needs To.

I love this piece! You showed the whole theme of all the Disney Princesses, though best of all, I enjoyed the ending the best with the question at the very end.

nelehjr DIAMOND, Lingle, Wyoming

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

I loved this. What's been on my mind lately is the impressions fairy tales, cheifly disney princesses instil in us as children. And our children for that matter. I looked at some of my writings from when I was a little kid and there was one that really stuck with me. It was about a horse who was ugly. Because she started crying under a special flower her fairy godmother came out and made her beautiful. Yay! Happy ending right? Wrong! I feel that peice proves that due to the pretty stories we feed children they think everything is easy and when things are hard someone will pull them out. Not so. I really love how in the first part you said the good things those princesses taught us but in the last bit you bring up that...Life ain't so easy.I love this. I might save it for future refrence later.
Also, I wanted to know how you got the anchors on your profile page? Alt key sig? Could ya teach me pretty please? :3
Haha, great job!

SoulPoetry PLATINUM, Sierra Madre, California

"I will work harder" (animal farm boxer the horse)

Ms. Lexus Marie :) (clap) wonderful job here! I enjoy reading this splendid poem :D so cute and well thought out. I love how the poem brings back childhood memories about these princesses :)

KenyaLove41 GOLD, Dallas, Texas

"Day, n. A period of twenty-four hours, mostly misspent." ~Ambrose Bierce
"Nothing is Impossible, the word itself says 'I'm Possible!'" ~ Audrey Hepburn
"Good writing is only bad writing revised"~ Unknown

Hey there sorry I'm late on your review but I forgot how busy my life can be. But enough of exuses I'm here now! Okay, so I really liked the idea behind this and the allusions that you made to each of the princesses. Soee lines that might need to be looked over: "while Tiana achieved even if it seemed prolonged..." I feel like this is kind of vague. Like achieved what? Try using a different verb so it doesn't seem like this line is open ended. Also I feel like the word "achieved" disrupts your flow. "Pocahontas stood up for what she believed, Jasmine was herself and not someone's trophy." I recognize that believed and trophy are supposed to be a slant rhyme but they don't seem near enough to me. I like the idea but I do think that Jasmine's line needs to be revised so it rhymes with believed better. This is the thing that stuck out the most to me and it would help the piece's flow like a million times if it were fixed. Anyways, I love this poem and make sure to keep on spinning out fantastic pieces like this!

beautifulspirit PLATINUM, Alpharetta, Georgia

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
--Eleanor Roosevelt

Was very fun to read~ It is very sweet and charming good job:)

candlelightwriter GOLD, Kirksville, Missouri

"Secretly we're all a little more absurd than we make ourselves out to be"-- J.K. Rowling.

Gosh dang, I love this so much. I'm a Disney fanatic, but at age seventeen I'm still waiting for my prince ;) This is excellent, touches of sadness and nostalgia speaking to the little princess in all of us...

nautiicaled BRONZE, Elk Grove, California
I enjoyed reading this. It flowed pretty well and didn't fail to provide a good perspective on fairy tales. I can seriously relate to this point of view so great job!

SaphiraBrightscales DIAMOND, Islamabad, Other

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
- Maya Angelou
When i was little/I used to point a chubby finger toward the dark sky/And ask my father/why some stars moved and others didn’t/He would laugh and explain that some were airplanes/I still wish on them today ~ Laugh-It-Out
The feathers of a crow are black/The ink of my pen is blacker/The pain of my heart is blackest~ Mckay
If love produced a blossom/I’d take it in my palm/What a blessing, the bright color!/How soothing, such a balm!/I’d keep a petal for my own/The rest, drop from my hands/For such a flower would multiply/And populate the lands~ thesilentraven
And I began to rival legends/Long entombed before my birth./But for all my much envied fame/The lust for more would not abate./The plaques and prizes with my name/Will, like all things, disintegrate. ~ TheEpic95 now known as Helena_Noel

Lexus Marie!! How have you been?? you know I stumbled upon your work last month but poor me couldn't even spare a minute to comment though I was absolutely fascinated by it! See, I had exams plus my parents had banned internet so... Anyways... I am back now and I can come here now. When I read the title I wondered. It could contain all sorts of articles but when I read your poem I was BLOWN. This is one unique piece. If it were mine I'd be proud. I love how you put all of them in there and I LOVED how you ended it. Fun, enjoyble and a poem I could totally relate too. The last four line were truly breath-taking. Had an awesome time reading this. Look forward to reading more. Wish you the Best!

OldYoungOne said...
I enjoyed it for what it was. Very true. I thought it could have been expressed in less words and some metaphors too would totally amp up this poem. But like I said I liked the poem 

ChocolateLove SILVER, Warsaw, Other
I love it!! This poem is soo easy for me to relate to, everyone dreams about a "happy ever after". It's simple but stunning. Write on :D 

JRaye PLATINUM said...
JRaye PLATINUM, Dorr, Michigan

"If you build your house far enough away from Trouble, then Trouble will never find you."

"Have you ever looked fear in the face and said, 'I just don't care.'?"

Beautiful! Your message completely came across. I loved your ending too: What about the rest of us? I like to think that if we do follow the lessons of princesses, our overall ending will be happy. We'll have good days, some bad days, but over all we'll be happy with how our lives turned out. Awesome job! :)

Metalhead08 GOLD, Port Republic, Maryland

"I'd rather hate you for everything you are. Than ever love you for something you are not. " FFDP "You're born alone and you die alone" FFDP "I wonder out where you can't see, inside my shell I wait and bleed." Slipknot " If youre 555 then I am 666"

Genius idea! Very enjoyable to read!

Laugh-it-Out PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York, New York

"Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light" --Dylan Thomas

Great job Lexus! I couldn't have said it better myself Mckay. The concept was great and the message stunning. I love how you rhymed. Sometimes, when I read a rhyming poem I think: I could NEVER do that!!!! :) But you did!!!! Great job! I would have given you an editors choice :P Awesome job Lexus! Keep rockin

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."
—Apple’s “Think Different” commercial, 1997
“Crazy people are considered mad by the rest of the society only because their intelligence isn't understood.”
― Weihui Zhou

I like the concept. The message. And the allusions to all theses peincesses. Very fun to read. And thourough too. ^u^