Their Anthem | Teen Ink

Their Anthem MAG

By laurengerhard SILVER, South Windsor, Connecticut
laurengerhard SILVER, South Windsor, Connecticut

"I am gone quite mad with the knowledge of accepting the overwhelming number of things I can never know, places I can never go, and people I can never be." -Sylvia Plath

To have your name shouted as a chorus
among the people is a feeling that you will
never understand until it's happening to you.
A simple chant becomes your anthem;
your eyes
open each morning remembering that
moment.
Their last bit of hope was placed in you and
to shatter that fragile trust would be an
unforgivable offense.

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."
—Apple’s “Think Different” commercial, 1997
“Crazy people are considered mad by the rest of the society only because their intelligence isn't understood.”
― Weihui Zhou

Hey, congrats on being publsihed today. (I was published too! With Blood Bath.) I'm happy for you. This is an excellent poem to be in the magazine. 

I appreciate that; thank you!

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Sorry a million times for taking all eternity to comment. Long week.  Anywho, this is one of my favorites by you. Can't say if I love it more than Tea Leaves or less. You know what let's say equal. This poem is powerful throughtout its entirety. I love the title. I love long titles at times. I felt empowered after reading this. I still do. Amazing work, Lauren!

Thank you. Xo

Hanban12 ELITE said...
Hanban12 ELITE, Lake Worth, Florida

"If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put foundations under them."
Henry David Thoreau

"I fell in love the way you fall asleep; slowly, and then all at once."
John Green

Wonderful! No wonder it won the check mark! Love the imagery and similes. Congrats :)