Good Morning | Teen Ink

Good Morning

By Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."
—Apple’s “Think Different” commercial, 1997
“Crazy people are considered mad by the rest of the society only because their intelligence isn't understood.”
― Weihui Zhou

There is something crisp
about this morning
with an azure
clouded-dappled sky
and a honeyed haze.

There is something sweet
about this morning:
the vase of violet orchids
that sits on our nightstand
are fresh and fragrant as
the day last week
when you brought them home
coming back from work.

There is something provocative
about this morning
with the only thing covering
our bodies
are these thin
cool cotton sheets so sheer
that the outlines
of both you and me
must be visible:
our warmth trapped beneath.
You roll over,
thinking I’m asleep,
and get out of bed
without bothering to put on your crumpled clothes,
lying on the floor next to mine,
or without covering your torso
with some sheets.
You bare backside recedes
from my view
as you go out to the kitchen
to brew our coffee.

There is something euphonic
about this morning,
as you get back in bed,
and your voice
is the first sound
to bid me, “Good morning,”
while our steaming coffee
brews in the background,
its guttural song
making it all the way
into our bedroom.
There is something promising
about this morning
with your smile greeting me,
your cheeks dimpling,
letting me know
that I still have
one more day
with you
today.

I began to develop the idea of this poem in a afternoon. But I decided to wait until the nest morning to write in order for it to have a raw feeling. And this was what I came up with. I have to give MyApocolyptic for being some inspiration for me. Hope you all enjoy.

elycavill SILVER, Samobor, Other

Leave nothing but footprints,
Take nothing but pictures,
Kill nothing but time.

Such a deep and well constructed way of describing, using powerfull words so there is no place for emptyness. Love the artistic, caring way you look at things that most of people take for granted. Good work. (Y)

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Thank you so much, PaintTheStars. By the way, that's a great name. Very imagery-esque. I appreciate the feedback and your taking the time to read this poem. 

PaintTheStars BRONZE, Garden City, Michigan

Don't tell me the sky is the limit when there's foot prints on the moon.
Peace is the answer, no matter what the question is.

You have an outstanding vocabulary, and an outstanding rhythym of portraying emotions. Good job!

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Gecko, thanks so much. I appreciate your thorough feedback, honestly. I'm a word lover as well. Words can become way too cliche sometimes. It's nice to grab a dictionary and learn new words once and a while. Always helps. Thanks. 

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Thanks, Brownie. ^u^

Gecko GOLD said...
Gecko GOLD, Lafayette, Oregon

"When all else fails, make your character fall down a hole," -Libba Bray, at Powell's in Portland, Oregon

Continuing in the long line of praise, this is an honest, beautiful poem. Your vocabulary is great (I'm a dictionary/thesaurus lover myself) and you go to the next line at the right times, emitting a graceful, elagent poem. I love it. As promised, my review. I love your poem.

Courtster103 BRONZE, Walla Walla, Washington
AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

I'm honored that you re-read and re-commented on this poem. I will re-thank you again. You're awesome. 

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Thank you so much, JoyMason. I try to use bigger words, even though it's not that easy. Thank you for reading and commenting. 

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

I'm not sure if you had read this poem before, but regardless, thank you so much for taking the time to read it and comment on it. 

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Coffe lover high five! Thank you, Krasota. This poem is meaningful for me. However, I have not experience any thing detailed in this poem. Nowhere near. No one bit whatsoever. Which kinda sucks. But I did want to describe an imaginary love. One that I'd love to have in the future. Maybe one day. And blue orchids sounds lovely. (I used them in a new poem because of you.) Means so much to me that you took the time to read this, think about it, and then comment on it. Thank you so much. 

JoyMason PLATINUM, Arapahoe, Nebraska

You, he who subdued me, be not insolent, forget not the beauty of virtue.

this is very moving and really, i just had 2 reread it, u r an awesome writer

JoyMason PLATINUM, Arapahoe, Nebraska

this is a very good piece, i like how u used bigger words, not alot of people that i know use big words, the emotion tied in with this is tremendous, keep it up

Fallen_ PLATINUM, Quakertown, Pennsylvania

" a shattered world is only an opening into a new beginning with laughs, smiles, and love all around enter the world of the light and away from the broken darkness"

Wow I,m speechless, this was so nrilliant I love how your stanza were short but full of meaning like tellng a story. No wonder the editots loved this to because your just pure omazment keep it up :3 your going to go far.

Carpe-Caffeam GOLD, No Where, Florida

“If it weren’t for the coffee, I’d have no identifiable personality whatsoever.” –David Letterman

Where to begin? First off, I love how you used violet orchids instead of plain old roses (the blue orchid being my favourite flower). And that third stanza is giving me nostalgia without ever actually having that experience. COFFEE! Anyways, you're a brilliant writer. I'm not even sure if you've actually experienced what you're writing about, but something makes me feel as if you had in some form XD It's just amazing the detail you can put in here and I can visualize it and it's just s.exy. Wow. I love the repetition of "there is," too. So deserving of the award there :P AND I LOVE THE SOUND OF COFFEE MAKERS, JUST A SHOUT-OUT TO THAT "gutteral sound" THERE. <3 Awesome work. Just awesome.

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment this poem. I appreciate it so much, Rachelmuschett. 

rachelmuschett GOLD, Goose Creek, South Carolina

"heaven's not a place that you go when you die. it's that feeling in time when you feel alive."

Love your repetition with the "There is something" and how everything revolves around the whole morning theme. The descriptive image it gives off is great! 

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Thank you, MissExploration. I appreciate your feedback very much. It was tough coming up with something new every time. But I'm glad it all work out. Thank you.

MissExploration BRONZE, Vancouver, Washington

It Can Only Fly When It Needs To.

I liked how in each stanza you started with, There is something...and you added more and more to it, as well as your use of word choice. Good job!

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

I'm happy to hear that this poem is exactly what you like to read in a poem. I'm honored this poem is so for you. Thank you, truly truly, thank you!