Follow You | Teen Ink

Follow You

March 20, 2013
By SaraPower GOLD, Hollister, California
SaraPower GOLD, Hollister, California
17 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
“If you feel everything intensely, ultimately you feel nothing at all.”
― Elizabeth Wurtzel


You passed away quickly, quietly, in the dark of the night.
There was no pain they said, you went without a fight.
I do not know which would be worse, you experiencing pain,
Or imagining you passing into the next world purposefully, leaving me perfectly insane.
There are so many words I could yell, different people I could blame
But no one wanted you to leave, even those who barely knew your name.
Everyone loved you. They cherished and envied the charisma you carried in your smile.
I missed so many signs; you had not been properly cheerful in a long while.
The days drag on now. Sometimes I wish everything would just end.
Existing takes so much effort. Most days I cannot love anyone, not my family or my friends.
The only relief I can muster now is that you are with Him now, and that is what you craved.
I think about it all the time, could it have been stopped? Could you have been saved?
I trusted you with my heart, and with my soul.
Together we were going to grow old.
It is a fact I know in my heart, I would have followed you anywhere.
But now I am here and you are there.
There is no bridge to cross the gap between,
And if I decide to follow you, there is no turning back and it would be obscene.
For now, I will just slowly die inside and celebrate the man you were, my love.

I know, although you were taken young, you are my guardian angel, watching from above


The author's comments:
This poem was inspired by the song, "I Will Follow You Into The Dark" by Death Cab For Cutie