Remember | Teen Ink

Remember

By Lilacs_Smell_Wonnerful PLATINUM, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Lilacs_Smell_Wonnerful PLATINUM, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

When life gives you lemons make grape juice. Then sit back and watch everyone look at you in amazement. :)

Remember when I was your life jacket, and you were my adventurer? I kept you afloat when the going got tough, and you led me to places where I would never have thought to go. You pulled me along, holding my hand, till I would budge no further, for we had reached the end of what reason would allow.
Remember when I was a part of you, and you were a part of me? When we couldn't remember what parts of our personalities came from me, and what parts came from you. We combined, both good and bad, into a mess of a friendship that was heading nowhere, but it was moving so fast.
Remember when I held you that night, as you cried about the lack of love in the world? No words had to be spoken, you just came to my room, tears streaming down, and I moved to make room for you on the bed. You cried into my lap, and I cried into your hair.
Remember when I was your anchor, and you were my boat, and together we had the strength of giants? The world could not stop us; it was ours for the taking. I held you on my shoulders, and you told me what was coming for us, and how we would conquer it together.
Remember when I was your compass, and you were my map of lands unknown? Breath turned to frost as it left our mouths those winter nights, and laughter was ringing through the forest, for though we were lost, we were together, and then we really weren’t lost.
Remember when I was your stop sign, but you didn’t brake? You pushed it too far. I tried to catch you, but you slipped through my fingers. You walked away, throwing a smile and a laugh over your shoulder as you waved goodbye from the distance.
Remember when I called for you, but you covered your ears? I shouted till my throat was raw, begging you to return to me. I just wanted to fight for you, and then hold you as you cried it away, washing your heartache away.
Remember when I ran after you, but you hid from my sight? I chased you as far as I could go, but you were nowhere to be found. I searched for you till darkness fell, and then started again in the morning. I walked till my feet were bleeding, checking behind bushes and trees.
Remember when I gave up, and you moved on? I cried myself to sleep, but I no longer shouted or searched for you. I rested my eyes, and let the tears flow. They didn’t land in your hair or on your lap; and you weren’t there to hold me.
Remember when I collapsed, and no one could find me? I hid to heal my wounds, but scars remained. Despite all the care I could bestow, I remained a little askew. But I fixed myself as best I could, no one was there to do it for me, and then I returned, in case you wanted to find me, your true friend.
Remember when you came back to me, and you were broken? You curled up in my lap, tears falling, and I tried to fix you; I used all the glue I could find. I used needle and thread, mâché and plaster. But the glue wouldn’t stick, the thread broke, and the plaster wouldn’t hold. So I just kept on holding you, broken pieces and all. It is what I will continue to do; for I love you too much to ever let you go again, my sweetest, my darling, my love.