An Ode to the Journey | Teen Ink

An Ode to the Journey

By AgentOrange789 GOLD, Friendswood, Texas
AgentOrange789 GOLD, Friendswood, Texas

"It's a saying they have, that a man has a false heart in his mouth for the world to see, another in his breast to show to his special friends and his family, and the real one, the true one, the secret one, which is never known to anyone except to himself alone, hidden only God knows where."
-James Clavell, "Shogun"

Thoughts, dreams, lives- weave and flow
To form this great and endless ocean
Many droning years have we wandered
Like pilgrims its worn and trodden shores
Gazing onward, to the crease of oblivion
Shall our eyes meet, the bridge be built?

We yearn for the coming light,
The flaming gow to heed the swelling tides,
That song and poem of dancing tongues alike
Do bow before this glory still

Let us bathe within the waters of time
And sail, nay, swim, the endless waking seas
Voyage the cosmos, to learn the stories of creation
Catching the most distant drops of rain

Thus may we carry on
Foundations set in stone for eternity
Lonely sands to become the bridge
All to pass, none be left behind.

Lia692 said...
Lia692, Spokane, Washington

"Life should be viewed from afar and lived from close up."

This poem has an ancient feel about it (and I swear I mean that in the best way possible!). It's a style that most teenagers don't use (even condemn) nowadays, which is unfortunate, as you've shown. I absolutely love this. Would you mind commenting on my forum post, "Alabaster Angels ~ Feedback for Feedback"? Thanks!

Apollo77 PLATINUM, Brunswick, Ohio

"All you have to do is write one true sentence. Write the truest sentence that you know.”
"Madame, all stories, if continued far enough, end in death, and he is no true-story teller who would keep that from you."
-Ernest Hemingway

I love how you use interesting and maybe a little old fashion words in the story, it gives an ancient sort of feel that i think is really cool. I love the story...really cool!

nakubara PLATINUM, Belvidere, New Jersey

Everything you do in life is insignificant, but its important you do it anyway ~Ghandi

Magnificant! I am speechless...

Matt27 SILVER said...
Matt27 SILVER, Englewood, Colorado

"Outsiders who see rules and not the love that runs through them are often too ready to label other people as 'prisoners'." -Iris Murdoch in The Sea, The Sea

This poem has a very ethereal feel to it. It reminds me of the pain and monotony that life is. I like how you encourage people to keep on though, to continue moving through life, but the poem could be even better if you described why a person ought to go through life. It is definitely very good though; you have many very interesting words that spice this poem and it was done well.