September | Teen Ink

September MAG

By ChelleLynn SILVER, Cold Spring, New York
ChelleLynn SILVER, Cold Spring, New York

Life does not come with a remote. If I want to change something, I have to get up out of the chair and I have to change it myself.

The leaves transform from green to yellow to red,
the vibrant colors swirling together on nature's palette,
blending in faster and faster strokes,
until all that's left is an ugly brown that curls its subject into a frown of disgust.
Figures withered and wasted and fading,
falling farther and farther from the memory of summer,
of warm breezes and beaches
and late nights beneath green trees and
freedom from that wretched institution that shall not be named.
Now it has only been a few weeks
and already the world has completely changed.

ChobaniLuvinPenguin PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York

"What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well."
― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince

This poem is powerful and beautiful. It flows extremely well and the descriptions are vivid. I can't help reading this poem over and over again and discovering something new each time. AMAZING JOB!!!!!!

chriskabz PLATINUM, Nairobi, Other

Hebrews13:10

masterful description...reminds me of how glorious my birthday month is  

Prehistoric-Fool GOLD, Wellesley, Massachusetts

“Every path is the right path. Everything could’ve been anything else. And it would have just as much meaning.”

Nemo Nobody

I like the last two lines, but i feel like the poem couldve been developed a little bit better (not sure how to word it) Good job! Keep it up(:

pandagirl312 GOLD, Leawood, Kansas
Great job!!! I especially love it because I was born in September :) I really like the last two lines in particular. Nice work!!!

on Jun. 30 2012 at 5:34 am
Apollo77 PLATINUM, Brunswick, Ohio

"All you have to do is write one true sentence. Write the truest sentence that you know.”
"Madame, all stories, if continued far enough, end in death, and he is no true-story teller who would keep that from you."
-Ernest Hemingway

I really like this a lot! I love the colors and painting, but my favorite part is the last two lines, "now it has only been a few weeks, and already the world has completely changed." it is a perfect description of the changing seasons. The look back into summer is done really well, i get like a flashback and hat is so cool! Really really good!

InkWriter13 said...
Absolutely beautiful!! Wow. A lovely, vivid depiction of this change in seasons. I love how you took a common topic and showed it in a different way. Wonderful all the way through. I love the use of colors and the metaphor to painting. Done effectively and with clarity. GREAT work. :D Would you please comment on my poems titled the Warmth of Life and Without the Writer

rubyred said...
on Jun. 20 2012 at 11:13 am
This is reeeeeaaaallllly good Chelle!!! You're an incredible writer -- I dont know how you do it! :D