A New Name | Teen Ink

A New Name

By ohheyyyelli SILVER, Woonsocket, Rhode Island
ohheyyyelli SILVER, Woonsocket, Rhode Island

A delicate curling of my lip
Just like Christmas ribbon
A slow flick of my tongue
Feeling soft and easy
The sound from my mouth
Starts the butterflies in my belly
It forms like a ring of smoke
And floats into the sky
The moment it turned to spoken word
I knew it meant beginning

Sarahhhhhhh BRONZE, Malden, Massachusetts

"The silence depressed me. It wasn't the silence of silence. It was my own silence."
- Sylvia Plath, The Bell Jar

Yeah no prob! :)

You are absolutely right about the message! Those were my exact feelings put into this. It completely slipped my mind that spoken word is a form of poetry, but now that you said it, it's all I can think about. I don't really like "The moment I spoke it", but I'll change it to something similar. Thanks! (:

- Sylvia Plath, The Bell Jar

This is beautiful, I love how symbolic it is. Personally, I thought of the feeling you get when you're intoduced to a new guy you're interested in, and just his name conjures up all these new-beginning-what-if feelings. So beautiful - love the last line. I'm not too crazy about using "spoken word" - words are at a premium in such a short poem, the phrase seems a little redundant, and spoken word is a genre of poetry so that's confusing. To avoid the clutter - maybe "The moment I spoke it" or something similar. Just a thought.

Very well done :)

Aw, thank you so much!

ChocoMint SILVER, Bloomington, Indiana

"Love is like swallowing hot chocolate before it has cooled off. It takes you by surprise at first, but keeps you warm for a long time." - Anonymous

"Love starts with a smile, grows with a kiss and ends with a tear." - Anonymous

I love the way you don't say what you are explaining in the poem. The title says it all and the poem is just one of many definitions!  I love it and think it would be great for your college portfolio!  =+)

I see what you mean, but I think the point of poetry is to find your own meaning in it, relate it to yourself, but I definitely understand your point, just don't know how I can fix it, and I actually rather like it how it is lol. Thank you for the feedback! I appreciate it!

IAmWhoIWantToBe PLATINUM, Manila, Other

‎"I’m learning how to drown out the constant noise that is such an inseparable part of my life. I don’t have to prove anything to anyone. I only have to follow my heart and concentrate on what I want to say to the world: I run my world." - Beyoncé

Well, I like this poem, maybe because I like to experiment on names. Anyway, this is short but all the more great!!! Keep it up...

BetweenWorks SILVER, Charlotte, North Carolina

The meaning of life is a question that you have already answered.

I think this poem can be mixed up with other meanings. Its a good poem but mixed up part is a problem

Yeah, I see how that can get mixed up! Thank you(:

casielynnxoxo SILVER, Pasadena, Maryland

"You'll never fully understand someone, unless you are them."

Oh, I understand now. The first time reading it, I thought it was a literal, new name. Haha. I love the first two lines.

All of the lines are pretty much about the way me speaking the new name felt, and the name doesn't literally translate to beginning, but how I can feel it's the beginning of something, you know? Hope that clarifies! (:

I like the first two lines, they are really good. I don't understand how the name fits into the poem though, can you explain that to me please? I do like this poem a lot though  :)