Average/Extraordinary | Teen Ink

Average/Extraordinary

By MonaLisaSmile GOLD, North Liberty, Indiana
MonaLisaSmile GOLD, North Liberty, Indiana

Reality is a lovely place, but I wouldn't want to live there. --Adam Young

Somehow, I never could believe that I would be the average girl.
I never wanted to believe it.
Everyone thinks they can somehow "rise above" whatever road blocks and construction sites appear before them. Nobody ever wants to settle for average.
The sad thing is that those people are deluding themselves.
The people who fiercely believe that they will step into a higher version of themselves someday are going to be sorely disappointed when all they have are black and white memories and cracked mirror images of the past and ripple views of a future they want.
I am one of those people.
I dream of what I want to be, what I want to have.
When I was a little girl, I dreamed of the generic career paths that I would take: veterinarian, Broadway star, nurse, teacher, published and highly successful author, princess of the world, wife, mother.
I truly and honestly believe that I could achieve those things.
Now, after completing my freshman year of college without any major screw-ups or successes, I can firmly say that I am cemented in the 'average' group.
I will probably never rise above my station or achieve anything of great worth or value.
I will be utterly completely average, for as long as I live.
Does anything about me stand out, speak of anything even remotely extraordinary?
No.
I have mousy brown hair, I am average height, my grades are average, I can't sing or dance, I have no other special talents.
I am un-extraordinarily ordinary.
I can see that now as I sit here and watch Saturday Night Live on a Thursday night.
Now I can completely believe the average girl, see her in all her average-ness and accept that she will remain average.
Now I can also see that the people in my life who are truly talented and will achieve undescribably amazing things in their lives should be encouraged.
Don't be average like me.
Stay extraordinary!