Dear Gramps, | Teen Ink

Dear Gramps,

By Terrahantu BRONZE, Gillette, New Jersey
Terrahantu BRONZE, Gillette, New Jersey

I remember sitting on the dock listening to your stories. I remember hearing the rage in your voice talking about the war and the change to a soft laugh and a smile telling me i got a bite and to bring in the line. I remember you told me you would live to two-hundred years old. you promised. I remember looking up at you while you were telling me about how you and grandma met and how you loved each other from day one. I always thought to myself of how great it must be to fall in love. You inspired me and still do. I heard it all and learned it all from you. you told me how to cast the line just right, you taught me how smile when i want to cry, you showed me how to love another person selflessly, you showed me what a true friend is. Dear Gramps, YOU made me what i am today. YOU showed me how to be strong, watching you live through the heart attacks, the stroke, the cancer, the broken bones, the broken heart after grandma passed, i knew no one could be stronger than you. YOU taught me no matter how strong some one is they can always fall and break.I remember i used to think i was strong, because you made me that way. Even though you taught me to smile when i wanted to cry no matter how strong you made me i broke down the second my parents walked in the door telling me you were gone. I couldn't think about the good times. I couldn't think about what you taught me. I could only think about what you promised me. You said two-hundred. You were only eighty-seven. I couldn't believe you were gone. "he broke his promise" i thought to myself. knowing my best friend, the person i always counted on, the one who understood me, was gone. I think about you all the time. I just wanted you to know i will never forget all you've done for me. I love you Gramps, so where ever you may be now, i just want to say thank you. I wish i could have said it before you were gone. I was only nine, i took everything and everyone for granted. I thought you would live forever. You were great, you were smart, you were caring, you were strong, but even though you were so strong you broke. YOU taught me to let go of someone i love. I miss you and always will. I wish that someday i will be as strong as YOU and that I will fall with the gravity of grace when i do fall. I want to follow in your footsteps. YOU taught me to inspire others. YOU taught me how to live. Thank you.
-Love, your thankful granddaughter.

my grandfather was my best friend and I've been lost without him. it's been almost six years. Was always there for me and taught me everything he could. I just feel like i owe him some sort of a thank you.