Rum Horror Story | Teen Ink

Rum Horror Story

By DarknessForever13 SILVER, Gainesville, Texas
DarknessForever13 SILVER, Gainesville, Texas

Quoth the Raven: "Nevermore!"
"What's right isn't always popular, but what's popular isn't always right." - Unknown

I hear the wind howl and screech above the cargo hold, and I feel the pain as I slid sharply into the side of my wooden crate.
I feel the swaying movement as we sail across the open seas.
The waves that trash against the wooden wall can be seen out the small porthole beside the crate.
Oh how I wish I could be there, drifting away from my darkened fate.
My wishing does nothing but remind me of the ticking clock, and the unknown future I might not have.
Then I see the light flood the room and feel the harsh blast of wind as the cargo door is opened.
They are coming down the stairs now.
Oh no, this is the end, I am doomed, the clock has stopped, and I can do nothing but wait.
Flashes of memories drift into my thoughts of when my brothers and sisters were carried away, how I had hoped that I would have been forgotten.
Wait, no, they are not coming in my direction.
My life has been spared…but for how long?
The sunlit, windy scenery outside the window slowly turns from a soft, silky blue, to black, forbidding velvet.
All is silent above and I am warm and content in the darkness, hoping once again for another night to go by with me forgotten.
Then I hear the drunken laughter and know it is all over, this is the end of a ticking clock.
I hear the creak of the hinges as the door is opened and the dim light of the lantern is cast my way.
Soon I feel the strong, scarred, bloodied, course skinned hand around my slim neck as I am carried away.
The thump of his feet on the steps reminds me of the death toll of drums that I have heard are played during a hanging.
We emerge from the warm cargo hold onto the moonlit, cold upper deck of the ship.
The last thing I remembered before the quiet, pitch black oblivion swallowed me was the captain’s voice say, “Drink up me hearties, yo ho!”

This was a poem I wrote for Pre-Ap english class. We had to chose a beverage, or some type of food, and write a horror poem about how scary it is to be that selection. I chose RUM, because it is what pirates drink, and it's "A Pirate's Life For Me!" O.o

Quoth the Raven: "Nevermore!"

Thank you for your wonderful comment, I just recently posted a new poem on teenink that you might like. And yes, I would love to read your poem!! I'll leave ya a comment! :)

Lexie96 GOLD said...
Lexie96 GOLD, Havana, Illinois

Now Cinderella don't you go to sleep, it's such a bitter form of refuge, oh don't you know the kingdom's under siege, and everbody needs you. - The Killers

I liked this, it made me laugh and smile, but it was well written and you did a good job describing the situation. Think you could check out my poem sometime?