If I Could Tell You A Secret | Teen Ink

If I Could Tell You A Secret

By AsIAm PLATINUM, Somewhere, North Carolina
AsIAm PLATINUM, Somewhere, North Carolina

"According to some, heroic deaths are admirable things. (Generally those who don't have to do it. Politicians and writers spring to mind.) I've never been convinced by this argument, mainly because, no matter how cool, stylish, composed, unflappable, manly, or defiant you are, at the end of the day you're also dead. Which is a little too permanent for my liking." — Jonathan Stroud (Ptolemy's Gate)

Dear Best Friend,

If I could tell you a secret
There are so many things I would say

I’d tell you I’m secretly in love
And I might even tell you it’s with your brother

I’d tell you about that website
You saw me clicking off of

I’d let you read those texts I hurriedly delete
And show you that everything’s not fine

I’d tell you what really happened with my father
And maybe tell you why I lied

I’d spill out my very soul to you
If I could trust that you would keep it

But when I asked if I could share a secret
You laughed and said “I wouldn’t recommend it”

So I’ll write this letter and never send it

I was bored and started to think about Psych (the awesome-est tv show ever). Then I remembered how the main character had responded to "Can I tell you a secret" with "I wouldn't recommend it, no.". Then I laughed, and tried to think about a way I could use that. So here is the fruit of my lack of labor. Hey, nobody ever said I wasn't weird...

redhairCat PLATINUM, Pebble Beach, California

"I can do anything!"

Love it! (That's all I can say!)

on Apr. 14 2011 at 9:35 am
Beachgirl1 PLATINUM, Bellevue, Washington

"If You Don't Fight Back, You've Already Lost."
"Don't suppress Laughter, it goes to your thighs."

I love LOVE LOVE LOVE this! it makes you think! I love your ending line! Great job! This is going under my favorties :) and i see u are published in the MAG great job!

AsIAm PLATINUM said...

Thank you! :)

Hotaru said...
I really enjoyed this poem. I thought it was very clever.

AsIAm PLATINUM said...
on Mar. 31 2011 at 7:34 am

Thanks! :) And yes, yes it is. Can't wait until the next season!

~I've heard it both ways~

PJD17 SILVER said...
on Mar. 31 2011 at 7:26 am
PJD17 SILVER, Belleville, Illinois

I do the best imatation of myself- Ben Folds

great poem and yes psych is a great show

Hazel-daisy GOLD, --, Other

It takes a lot of courage to show your dreams to someone else - Erna Bombeck

In three words i can sum up everything I've learned in life: it goes on -Robert Frost

Live, Love, Laugh - ______

Hope, Love, breathe <3 - Me

well no, i don't think anybody knows i write. I told my parents i liked writing and in English class last year we had to write a poem(bigger than this is the one i wrote), a short story(not posted on the site) and an alernative ending to the Pearl(on the website), they thought all the pieces were good but they dont know how much i love it and that i have my itouch filled with ideas and notes on writing!! My uncle is a writer so maybe thats where i get it from!! So, no, my family doesn't know i love writing and my friends...well they don't know either!! Until i have completed my novel i'm working on or come up with a brilliant poem, my family won't find out and my friends aren't going to know until i have a novel published and they walk into a bookshop and see it (when i'm older of course) Haha i'm sorry about the essay!! I don't really think anybody fully knows who i am and thats probably the reason i write, and to escape from my life...

AsIAm PLATINUM said...
on Jan. 25 2011 at 6:40 am

haha Well I'm glad you didn't fall asleep while you were reading it - I tried to keep it short. :)  And that's not a stupid question! :D  Almost everyone knows I write, but it's not so much that I talk about it as it gets around by word of mouth (and word of mom lol).  What about you?

AsIAm PLATINUM said...
on Jan. 25 2011 at 6:37 am

haha Thanks!!! I'll try to remember to comment on yours, but I'm pretty scatterbrained, so if you don't hear from me, go ahead and remind me. :)

I really hope you like Duty! :D Ian and Piper don't come in until later, so they aren't on here yet. :)  

on Jan. 25 2011 at 12:48 am
AEAluvsanimals SILVER, Yorba Linda, California

"All creatures bleed the same blood. He who spills the blood of any of god's creatures, he spills the blood of man." - Private Journals , Landerath
Dragon's Milk.
"It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live."- Dumbledore
Harry Potter 1

I like this poem! The rhyme at the end is awesome , because It gives the end a little extra oomph. Did I spell oomph right? How the heck should one spell oomph anyway?

I wa wondering... Comment for comment with me?

I'll comment on some of your Duty: To heart stuff ( Where are the parts with Ian and Piper?)

I'd be very much oblighed if you commented on What Fools These Mortals Be

and maybe Quaris

anyway, Ciao

Hazel-daisy GOLD, --, Other

Live, Love, Laugh - ______

Hope, Love, breathe <3 - Me

its wasnt that long of a story!! Thats really interesting actually, this may sound kind of stupid but does everybody who knows you know you write? like are you open about it?

AsIAm PLATINUM said...

I'm glad you liked it!  About the story, it's really kind of funny.  If you're bored and want a long story, here goes. lol

So me and my friend argue A. LOT.  But when I first met her, we spent every day together because of our parents (mine agreed to board her pony in exchange for help building our barn) so not getting along wasn't really an option.  So we started acting out stories with model horses as if they were people (we were ten).  Anyway, we stayed friends over the next five years, but naturally, we grew out of the model horse phase.  But the thing is, we didn't have much to talk about.  We both homeschool, so there wasn't really boys, or clothes, or drama, and we argued too much to talk about horses.  So we kind of took our model horse games and turned them into physical prompts for some really intricate role plays.  

Long story short, my friend and I have played out the basic structure of the whole novel already, and we just have to adjust it to make it more fun to read (try reading a RP - eww lol) and have a plot. :)

Hazel-daisy GOLD, --, Other

Live, Love, Laugh - ______

Hope, Love, breathe <3 - Me

finished!! i commented and rated!! 5 out of 5 of course!! i think thats a really good idea about doing it with your friend, you must be really good friends!!!! how do you agree on what to write etc.?

Hazel-daisy GOLD, --, Other

Live, Love, Laugh - ______

Hope, Love, breathe <3 - Me

The short story things is a good idea, dont worry i wont steal it!! haha!! Em, i'm actually trying to write a novel but i'm only on chapter 6 but i haven't done chapter 3 or 4 yet so..it might take a while!! But hopefully i'll be finished soon!! but i love writing poetry so my mind is always coming up with poem ideas!! i'll go read To Dare now!! 1sec (it'll actually be like 10 mins though!!)

AsIAm PLATINUM said...

Ikr? It'd be sooo much easier. I actually do have a few.  I'm starting a novel with my best friend (the prologue's out - it's To Dare), and I'm hoping to write a collection of funny short stories about my summer.  Also, I'm reading "On Writing" by Stephen King, and there's a prompt in there I want to get to. :)  What about you?

Hazel-daisy GOLD, --, Other

Live, Love, Laugh - ______

Hope, Love, breathe <3 - Me

they should really make a chat on this website...anyway so any new ideas to write about on your mind?

AsIAm PLATINUM said...

My life is great, except for school and horses lol

Hazel-daisy GOLD, --, Other

Live, Love, Laugh - ______

Hope, Love, breathe <3 - Me

haha!!!Life is good...except for school and secrets ;D hows your life?!!

AsIAm PLATINUM said...

Lol that's me too - secrets make such splendid stories. :)  Anywhoo, hope that you find a way to say what you need to say without draining the creative juices. :P  How's life?

Hazel-daisy GOLD, --, Other

Live, Love, Laugh - ______

Hope, Love, breathe <3 - Me

thanks!! but i have a feeling if i fully opened up to my friends i wouldnt have anything to write about...but maybe one day...:)